YouTube stars Us the Duo performing at UF on Friday

Duo
Duo

The husband-and-wife band Us the Duo will perform at UF on Friday.

As part of GatorNights, the free show will begin at 9 p.m. inside the Reitz Union Rion Ballroom. Doors will open at 8:30 p.m.

Reitz Union Board Entertainment invited the duo, comprised of members Michael and Carissa Alvarado, who earned online acclaim after posting covers of popular songs on video-sharing sites like Vine and YouTube.

They will be paid $15,000 to perform, said Ashley Fosse, a band committee director of RUB Entertainment. The event is free to students with valid Gator 1 Cards.

“We all decided that it would be a great idea to bring them,” the 20-year-old UF marketing senior said. “They have a really pop-acoustic vibe.”

Fosse said the performance material can range from the duo’s covers to their original songs and even holiday tunes.

Before the Alvarados started performing together, UF student Alexis Magill was already a fan of their individual talents, following both artists’ careers on Vine.

Magill said she watched them perform in Orlando over the summer at a small venue, adding that she’s seen how their music has evolved through their relationship.

“It’s like a real story in their music versus giving people what they want to hear,” the 20-year-old UF communication sciences and disorders and psychology junior said

Excited to learn UF was hosting the concert for free, Magill said she plans to arrive at least three hours early Friday.

“I think it’s cool that our school can afford to give us these opportunities,” she said.