Generic Crime
Generic Crime

After stealing street signs from a construction site, a Gainesville man led police on a 12-block scooter chase Saturday morning, Gainesville Police said.

At about 4:55 a.m., a GPD officer saw Daniel Lloyd Chambers, 20, in the 500 block of NW 17th St., hauling the signs on his scooter, according to a police report. The officer attempted to stop Chambers, but he eluded the police car, veering into oncoming traffic lanes twice.

Chambers Mug

With emergency lights behind him, Chambers kept driving, according to the report. He looked back at the police car and turned left into a driveway on Northwest 21st Street.

At one point, Chambers stopped to toss the signs and continued to drive while the officer followed, according to the report.

The chase ended once Chambers encountered a large body of water and his scooter got stuck in mud. Chambers walked back to the police holding his hands up and apologizing, according to the report.

After his arrest, Chambers told police he didn’t try to run away, but the stolen signs had triggered his scooter’s throttle, and he was unable to stop, according to the report. He said he stole the signs from a construction site near the 500 block of NW 13th St.

The signs are valued at $150, according to the report.

Police arrested Chambers on charges of petty theft and attempting to elude a police officer.

Authorities took him to the Alachua County Jail where he was released on his own recognizance Sunday afternoon.

When contacted, Chambers declined to comment on the arrest.

@merylkornfield

mkornfield@alligator.org