DJ, producer Huxley to perform in Gainesville for first time

Huxley, a London-based DJ who has achieved worldwide recognition for his explorative sound, is set to perform at Gallery Ultralounge on Friday. The event, which is hosted by Over Easy Creative as a part of their weekly “Over Easy & Friends” show, will run from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m., with tickets ranging from $10 to $15.

“Over Easy & Friends” has been occurring weekly since Gallery Ultralounge opened roughly a year ago, said Les Voss, the 24-year-old founder of Over Easy Creative. The goal of “Over Easy & Friends” is to book artists that are just that: friends of the team.

“It’s cool being able to not just book a name because it’s a name, but book a name because it’s a friend of a friend,” Voss said. “The bigger Over Easy gets, the bigger the people we have relationships with get.”

Voss added that booking big names like Huxley is tricky because Gainesville is a small market for electronic acts. It makes more sense to book artists that are traveling in Florida to play in other big cities.

“Are they in the area, and if they are in the area, can we pull them?” he said. “That’s the behind the scenes side of booking.”

The show follows Huxley’s performance on Miami’s Groove Cruise, a four-day cruise that features performances from more than 100 electronic artists. This is part of Huxley’s tour around the world, with stops in New York, the Netherlands, Amsterdam, Ireland and more.

Voss said he expects the show will be packed, as Huxley is such a big name and Gallery Ultralounge is a small space, with a capacity of about 150 people.

“I think it’s going to be a cool party because it’s going to be tight and intimate,” Voss said. “We’ll keep it dark, and it’s going to be loud.”

Krista Kingsbury, a 20-year-old UF botany and pharmacy sophomore, said she plans to go to the show after attending various Over Easy Creative events held at Gallery over the past year.

Although she doesn’t avidly listen to Huxley, she said she expects it to be a great show based off of the music and atmosphere of Gallery events she’s attended in the past.

“Pretty much the whole package of it together makes me want to go,” she said. “They always do a really good production.”

Huxley is known for his varied sound, not afraid to go outside the box with everything from house to drum and bass. Friday’s show will be his first time ever performing in Gainesville.