Local Buddhist temple begins erecting 85-ton statues

<p><span>The smaller sitting Buddha weighs 66,138.7 pounds. </span></p>

The smaller sitting Buddha weighs 66,138.7 pounds. 

For more than three years, Buddhist monk Thich Duc Thong has dreamed of bringing giant buddha statues to Gainesville.

Come Friday, he hopes to cross that dream off his bucket list.

“He thought having these giant statues would be such an oddity that it would draw people to what he envisions will become a meditation park,” said Bob Todd, who is helping fund the installment of three Buddhist statues at A Nan Buddhist Temple, a Gainesville temple.

The combined 85-ton statues, which cost about $500,000 to build, ship and install, will be featured at the the Buddhist temple’s garden, located at 2120 SE 15th St.

buddha 2

The base of the sitting Buddha is the largest piece of the construction and will sit in the middle of the garden.

The three statues include a sitting Buddha, a reclining Buddha and a 45-foot-tall representation of Quan Yin, the Buddhist goddess of compassion.

Todd said they’re hoping to have all eight pieces installed by Friday. With each passing day, the cost to install them increases, so the goal is to finish before the week ends. The pieces, sculpted in Vietnam, were brought to Jacksonville by boat Saturday and arrived in Gainesville on Tuesday.

Todd said he helped the temple obtain the city permits needed for the statues’ installation, but most of the project was funded by community members who are involved at the temple.

Jason Pham, a 42-year-old Jacksonville resident and member of the temple, said he hopes the garden’s new additions will attract people from across the country to Gainesville.

“The statues will help the people to relax and to have a peaceful mind,” he said.

@molly_vossler

mvossler@alligator.org