<p>Aleshia Ocasio pitches in the first game of Florida's doubleheader against Jacksonville on Feb. 17, 2016, at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.</p>

Aleshia Ocasio pitches in the first game of Florida's doubleheader against Jacksonville on Feb. 17, 2016, at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.

After two previous seasons that saw the Florida Gators softball team take home national championships, calling the end of the 2016 season a disappointment is an understatement.

The Gators lost in the NCAA Super Regional in a best-of-three series against the Georgia Bulldogs, unable to make the Women’s College World Series for the first time since 2012.

But past events are past events, and Florida is looking forward to the new season and all of the potential that it brings.

The team graduated its second-winningest class in program history. Names that have placed themselves firmly in the program’s record books, such as Kelsey Stewart, Taylor Schwarz and Kirsti Merritt, ended their collegiate careers and leave large holes in the roster that will be a challenge to fill.

Inserting talented players to fill that void could be an issue, as the roster is brimming with young, inexperienced players.

Nearly a third of the 18 players on UF’s roster are freshmen, with five newcomers entering the mix.

How the newcomers perform and mesh with the rest of the team is yet to be determined, and the leadership skills of veterans on the team could be crucial for the development of the younger players.

But while some veterans may be gone, UF does boast some accomplished returning players.

Florida enters the season touting one of the nation’s strongest pitching arsenals.

Aleshia Ocasio, who is entering her junior year, is coming off a season in which she earned a 22-2 record and an ERA of 0.77, which was good for second in the NCAA and third-lowest in program history. She also threw a no hitter in an early season contest with Jacksonville.

In addition to her talent in the circle, Ocasio showcased her offensive prowess, hitting .316 in 57 at-bats during her first two seasons.

Delanie Gourley, the lone senior pitcher, was a 2016 First Team All-American as a junior after going 19-4 with a 0.80 ERA in 157.2 innings pitched. Gourley, who was the first left-handed pitcher signed by Tim Walton, has experience on both national championship teams and will be a resource for veteran leadership both on and off the field.

While the pitching remains intact and heavy with experienced talent, offensive firepower is where the team lost its strongest players. The absence of shortstop Kelsey Stewart will open the opportunity for sophomore Theresa Swertfager or redshirt freshman Sophia Reynoso, who missed all of last season due to injury. Both have a combined three at-bats in comparison to Stewart’s 898.

Other graduated players such as catcher Aubree Munro and first baseman Taylor Schwarz leave the same predicament.

However, extended playing time should test younger players throughout the season and reveal how strong the team can be.

The Gators will have their first chance at action on Feb. 10 when they open the season against Illinois State to begin the USF-Wilson Demarini Tournament in Tampa.

Contact Skyler Lebron at slebron@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @SkylerLebron.