Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A Gainesville woman was arrested near campus Monday with about 234 grams of marijuana in her car, University Police said.

motley mug

Eyonna Monique Motley

At about 11:36 p.m., Eyonna Monique Motley, 25, was driving east on West University Avenue when police pulled her over for driving without headlights or taillights, according to a police report. Police said when they walked up to the car they noticed an overwhelming smell of weed coming from inside the car.

When police asked Motley and her passenger to step out of the car, the passenger fled on foot, according to the report. Police searched the area and were not able to find him.

Inside the car, police found the weed stuffed in a red bag, according to the

report. The weed was stored inside a gallon-sized zip-close bag within the red bag. Police also found seven glass mason jars containing trace amounts of marijuana.

Police arrested Motley on charges of possession of more than 20 grams of marijuana and an intent to sell.

Authorities took her to Alachua County Jail where she was released Monday afternoon on her own recognizance.

When contacted, Motley declined to comment.

@merylkornfield

mkornfield@alligator.org