<p>UF pitcher Michael Byrne sticks his tongue out during Florida's 5-4 win against William &amp; Mary on Feb. 17, 2017, at McKethan Stadium.</p>

UF pitcher Michael Byrne sticks his tongue out during Florida's 5-4 win against William & Mary on Feb. 17, 2017, at McKethan Stadium.

Everything was lined up.

Michael Byrne pitched his head off and was in line for the win — in his first career start nonetheless.

Kevin O’Sullivan could smell his 400th career win, just two outs away from the milestone.

But Sam Armstrong had other plans.

Jacksonville’s third baseman smacked a game-tying, two-run double off the left field wall in the bottom of the ninth off freshman reliever Andrew Baker.

Three batters later, Baker served up a walk-off single to Scott Dubrule as the Dolphins (3-1) completed the three-run comeback and dished the Gators (3-1) their first loss of the season Tuesday night in Jacksonville.

The loss is also Florida’s first in a midweek contest since April 14, 2015. UF was a perfect 14-0 in said games last season.

O’Sullivan said he knew his young bullpen could look shaky early this season like it did versus JU.

“I know this is a road game for him and he’s only a freshman,” O’Sullivan said, “but these are the types of experiences he’s gonna need to get.”

Not all was Baker’s fault, however.

Frank Rubio, in for Nick Horvath, yielded two singles to lead off the ninth. Then, after a strikeout, the left-handed Baker was called on to shut the door.

He didn’t.

After the Armstrong double, he walked two and allowed the fateful single that sealed the game.

While the bullpen’s night wasn’t an encouraging sign, Michael Byrne’s was.

In his first career start, the sophomore couldn’t have asked for a much better outing to solidify his midweek starter role.

Dolphins hitters looked off-balance and uncomfortable at the plate facing Byrne’s three-pitch mix. That was evident in the bottom of the second.

After surrendering back-to-back singles to open the frame, Byrne promptly struck out the next two batters before inducing a groundout.

Byrne finished his night with seven scoreless innings, scattering seven hits and a career-high eight strikeouts.

“The bottom line is Michael Byrne pitched outstanding,” O’Sullivan said. “That’s the best he’s pitched since he’s been here.”

Florida — which manufactured both of its runs on early RBI groundouts — didn’t exactly give Byrne or the bullpen the biggest of leads.

The Gators struggled against left-hander Casey Kulina, who fought neck-and-neck with Byrne on the mound. He allowed just one earned run through seven frames.

UF hit .235 as a team against Jacksonville, and O’Sullivan knows his club’s bats will need to catch fire a little more. They’ll have an opportunity to quickly rebound and do so tonight against Jacksonville, this time in Gainesville.

“There’s certainly enough hitters, and we will get going,” O’Sullivan said. “We looked like we were a little late with our loads tonight.”

A radio broadcast contributed to this report.

Contact Patrick Pinak at ppinak@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @pinakk12.