<p>Aleshia Ocasio pitches in the first game of Florida's doubleheader against Jacksonville on Feb. 17, 2016, at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.</p>

Aleshia Ocasio pitches in the first game of Florida's doubleheader against Jacksonville on Feb. 17, 2016, at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.

In 1996, author Linda Ellis published a poem titled “The Dash”.

After a radio announcer read the poem live on air that same year, it received critical acclaim. It led to Ellis publishing an entire book surrounding the idea, this time called “Living Your Dash: Making Every Moment Matter.”

With a message loud and obvious — to live every single moment to its fullest — the 2017 Gators softball team is taking this saying and using it as a guideline for its season.

“Living the dash is our motto this year,” junior pitcher Aleshia Ocasio said. “Come in every day and give your best attitude, give your best effort and live the Gator standard.”

With plenty of uncertainty concerning the amount of new and inexperienced players on the roster, living the dash is important for this Florida team.

Departures from five seniors left voids in areas previously filled with All-Americans and veterans, and now the team hopes to replenish those holes with youth.

“We’ve got a lot of new faces,” coach Tim Walton said. “A lot of people playing in roles that they haven’t played before.”

However, there is optimism about whether the team can reach the same heights as last year with a younger group.

Kelly Barnhill, a sophomore pitcher and 2016 NFCA Freshman of the Year top-three finalist, believes that this group meshes well together, which could turn into future success on the field.

“Each team has its own personality,” Barnhill said. “We have so many different personalities and everyone gets along so well. I think we’re going to have a blast just going out and playing.”

After three previous seasons in which Florida either made it to the National Championship or was ranked No. 1 from the season’s beginning, a year in which expectations aren’t quite as lofty allows the team a bit more breathing room.

“Playing with a little bit of a target, so to speak, on our backs was definitely a different feeling,” Walton said.

But despite youth in certain areas, the Gators still harness a veteran pitching staff.

The trio of Barnhill, Ocasio and senior Delanie Gourley combined for an ERA of 0.93 while striking out opponents a total of 538 times last season.

Both totals are better than either of the two previous championship campaigns.

With that firepower on the mound, the Gators hope to find consistency on offense and continued growth by practicing as hard as possible. It’s a trend they like to call living the dash.

“That’s our thing this year: live the dash,” junior first baseman Kayli Kvistad said. “It’s really important to take every day like it’s your last…soak up what’s thrown at you day by day.”

Contact Skyler Lebron at slebron@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @SkylerLebron.