‘In loving memory’: City honors UF student after death

<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-0e119df9-4a73-e89a-d457-0f06c3fcdcc4"><span>A close-up of the plaque that was made in honor of Abigail Dougherty. The plaque rests below the southern magnolia tree</span><span>planted for Dougherty on Thursday.</span></span></p>

A close-up of the plaque that was made in honor of Abigail Dougherty. The plaque rests below the southern magnolia treeplanted for Dougherty on Thursday.

Abigail Dougherty once told her mother that when she died, she wanted a seed planted in her memory.

Without knowing Dougherty’s wishes, the Gainesville City Beautification Board planned to dedicate a southern magnolia tree in her honor. Dougherty had been a member of the board for about a year, according to Alligator archives. The UF applied physiology and kinesiology senior died in a bicycle accident near Midtown in October.

Thursday, about 20 people close to Dougherty, including her mother, gathered at the Matheson Library and Archives for the dedication service.

Anita Forester, Dougherty’s mom, said the tree was a meaningful way to remember her daughter, who died days before her 21st birthday.

“She wanted to be buried as a seed pot and grown into a beautiful tree,” Forester said. “That was what her wishes were. She really would have loved this whole idea that we’re going to have a tree to come back and remember her.”

The plaque, placed at the foot of the tree, read “In loving memory, Abigail (Abby) Dougherty,” written inside the outline of a heart.

Tricia Hood, the chairman of the board, said she went through every tree in the nursery to find the perfect one for Dougherty, which was donated. The group began planning the event shortly after finding out Dougherty had died.

“She will live on through this tree,” Hood said. “And I will make sure it’s taken care of. I will come check on her all the time.”

Hood cut off the magnolia’s lower branches to give to Forester, so she could take the leaves and spread them with family. Dougherty’s dad didn’t come to the dedication ceremony because it was too painful for him, Forester said. He does plan to visit the tree soon.

After board members shared stories of Dougherty’s dedication and vivacity, friends embraced near the tree.

Stephanie Muench, a 22-year-old UF anthropology senior, met Dougherty when the two trained to be yoga instructors together in Fall 2015. Muench said she told Dougherty’s friends about the ceremony, adding that they’ve become closer since her death, relying on each other for support and comfort.

“Just thinking about how she would have wanted us to continue living this life and trying to make everything better has definitely made it easier for her close friends,” Muench said.

Forester said she liked knowing that years down the road, she could come visit her daughter’s tree.

“I keep saying it, she was a creature like no other,” Forester said. “She was something else.”

Contact Romy Ellenbogen at rellenbogen@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @romyellenbogen