UF students participate in canine kissing booth on campus

<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-79bc9146-3ad3-f32d-0dca-555fbc784d6f"><span id="docs-internal-guid-79bc9146-3ad3-f32d-0dca-555fbc784d6f"> </span></span></p>

With the help of a Valentine’s Day-themed kissing booth, UF students received true love’s furry kiss Monday.

For a $2 donation, Gainesville Pet Rescue let students hug and kiss five puppies during its “Kiss for a Cause” fundraising event on the Plaza of the Americas. The dogs,

Mocha, Latte, Nabu, Luna and Gunner, raised the organization $180, said Danielle Cummings, the non-profit’s development coordinator.

“We figured since Valentine’s Day is tomorrow, why not do a Valentine’s Day-themed kissing booth to raise some money and raise awareness,” Cummings said.

The organization rescues dogs and cats from Alachua County Animal Services, or surrounding counties’ animal services, before they’re euthanized. The animals are eventually placed in permanent homes, and the five dogs at Monday’s event are all up for adoption.

“Our rescue is no-kill, but animal services does have to euthanize for space,” Cummings said. “And we’re very close to becoming a no-kill county, so this year, that’s our goal.”

Shelby Johnson, a UF agricultural and biological engineering fifth-year, brought siblings Mocha and Latte, who are both 3-month- old chocolate lab mixes Johnson is

fostering.

Three-month-old Shepherd mixes, siblings Nabu and Luna, and 2-year-old black lab mix, Gunner, also played with students at the event. The five dogs enjoyed Starbucks “Puppuccinos,” whipped cream drinks made for dogs, while posing for photos.

Rachel Mead, the volunteer coordinator at Gainesville Pet Rescue, said she thinks this was the most positive response the organization has gotten from an event.

“Once we came out, there were already people before we set up, lined up to pet the dogs,” the 21-year-old UF animal sciences junior said.

If anyone is interested in adopting a pet, applications can be filled out at the organization, located at 5403 SW Archer Road, Mead said.

Johnson, who has been fostering puppies for about five years, said she’s been fostering Mocha and Latte for about two weeks.

“It’s like I can kind of have a dog without having a dog,” the 22-year-old said. “So without the full-length responsibility, but just two weeks of puppy love.”