<p>UF catcher Mark Kolozsvary rounds the bases after hitting a home run in Florida's 2-0 win against Miami on Feb. 25, 2017, at McKethan Stadium.</p>

UF catcher Mark Kolozsvary rounds the bases after hitting a home run in Florida's 2-0 win against Miami on Feb. 25, 2017, at McKethan Stadium.

Mark Kolozsvary tried to hold himself from swinging, but it was too late.

Florida’s designated hitter had already committed to a chest-high Andrew Karp fastball. He connected, unsure what the outcome would be in a big spot in a scoreless game with two runners on and two outs in the seventh.

“I was just trying to put a barrel on the ball,” Kolozsvary said, “and then it looked like it was more in and I tried to check swing.”

It fell for a bloop single just out of FSU shortstop Taylor Walls’ reach, and Jonathan India raced home.

In a game that featured 10 total hits, it was all the run support No. 5 Florida (13-5) needed in a 1-0 win against No. 2 Florida State on Tuesday night at McKethan Stadium.

Considering the Gators had dropped their last three midweek contests — one to UCF and two to Florida Gulf Coast — the win felt almost needed for coaches, players and a worried fan base.

“It was important for our young pitchers to go out there and do what they did,” head coach Kevin O’Sullivan said. “Our offense will come around.”

While the bats weren’t impressive for either side, the pitching was.

UF starting pitcher Nate Brown may have lasted five innings, but he mowed down the Seminoles in his second career start.

The freshman right-hander, relying on his low-90s fastball, held Florida State to three hits over five scoreless frames while striking out four and walking none.

“I know that team over there in Florida State is really good,” Brown said. “But I knew if I just pounded the zone, they’d just get themselves out.”

It wasn’t until after Brown was lifted that FSU threatened.

In the sixth, Walls singled up the middle and advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt off Kirby McMullen. Then O’Sullivan called on left-handed reliever Andrew Baker, who induced a fly out and a weak chopper to India at third base.

Baker, one of UF’s four freshmen pitchers used, didn’t allow a hit through 2 and 2/3 relief innings and earned his first career win.

“I felt great tonight for some reason,” Baker said. “I think it was the big rivalry I’ve heard since I’ve been in high school and middle school. I loved it out there.”

Meanwhile, Florida State (13-4) held Florida at bay behind Andrew Karp’s solid pitching performance, as well.

Though Karp surrendered the game’s only run on Kolozsvary's single, he struck out 11 Gators through seven innings, allowing five hits.

Eventually, however, the Seminoles were no match for Florida’s hard-throwing freshmen.

Tyler Dyson, whose fastball ran as high as 96 mph, tossed a seamless ninth and earned his first career save.

Injury note: UF starting shortstop Dalton Guthrie didn’t play against FSU because he’s dealing with arm tenderness. O’Sullivan said he expects Guthrie to be fine but didn’t “want to push him on a night like tonight.”

Contact Patrick Pinak at ppinak@alligator.org or follow him on Twitter @pinakk12