<p>Former UF women's basketball coach Amanda Butler looks on during Florida's loss to Ole Miss on Feb. 6 in the O'Connell Center. Butler was fired on Monday. </p>

Former UF women's basketball coach Amanda Butler looks on during Florida's loss to Ole Miss on Feb. 6 in the O'Connell Center. Butler was fired on Monday. 

After nearly a decade at the helm of Florida women’s basketball, Amanda Butler’s days in Gainesville have come to a close.

Athletic director Scott Stricklin announced on Monday that the head coach had been relieved of her duties following a difficult 2016-17 campaign.

The Gators struggled mightily in conference play this year under Butler, finishing the regular season with a 5-11 record before losing to Texas A&M in the second round of the SEC Tournament on Thursday.

UF’s overall record of 15-16 was also one win short of qualifying for postseason action, marking the second time over the past three years that Butler was unable to guide Florida to either an NCAA Tournament or WNIT berth.

“We will immediately begin the process of finding a new women’s basketball coach,” Stricklin said in a press release. “I believe this program has the resources and support to achieve sustained success and compete for championships.”

Butler finishes her run at Florida with a 190-137 overall record, the second most wins all-time in program history behind Carol Ross.

She also sent Florida to four NCAA Tournaments, including advancements to the second round in 2009, 2012 and 2014.

However, the coach – whose contract ran through 2019 – struggled to garner much success in the SEC, accumulating a 71-85 record in conference play while never advancing past the quarterfinal round of the league tournament.

“Amanda obviously loves the University of Florida,” Stricklin said. “She worked tirelessly trying to grow this program and help it achieve consistent success, and her efforts will always be appreciated.”

Butler was hired on April 14, 2007, after spending two seasons as head coach of the Charlotte women’s basketball team.

She is also a UF alum, serving as a four-year starter for the Gators at point guard from 1990-94. She earned her bachelor’s degree from UF in 1995 and her master’s in 1997.

“I appreciate the opportunity that was given to me as a young head coach to return to my alma mater, a place I love and where I developed many special relationships and memories,” Butler said in a press release. “The future is bright for this program.” 

Follow Dylan Dixon on Twitter @dylanrdixon, or contact him at ddixon@alligator.org.