<p>Coach Kevin O'Sullivan and the Gators dropped their first home game since March 23 in an 8-4 loss against Jacksonville Tuesday night. “We’ve gotta clean up some mistakes,” O'Sullivan said. </p>

Coach Kevin O'Sullivan and the Gators dropped their first home game since March 23 in an 8-4 loss against Jacksonville Tuesday night. “We’ve gotta clean up some mistakes,” O'Sullivan said. 

Even after Florida’s 4-1 win over Florida State on Tuesday — its ninth win in the past 10 games against the rival — Kevin O’Sullivan couldn’t help but reference UF’s most recent loss.

Florida’s 10th-year head coach is looking for ways to improve. He knows he needs to win games before it’s too late in the season.

“I’ve been looking at some things since Sunday’s game,” O’Sullivan said of the 10-6 loss to LSU Sunday. “Obviously that was a really disappointing way to lose.”

Just two innings away from a sweep of the Tigers, the Gators’ bullpen imploded to blow a four-run lead. Experienced relievers Michael Byrne and Frank Rubio, along with freshmen Andrew Baker, Kirby McMullen and Tyler Dyson, combined to surrender eight runs — most of which came on a trio of home runs.

It was odd O’Sullivan mentioned the loss given that his team’s pitching staff had just held the Seminoles to one run.

Perhaps he’s feeling the pressure as Florida, 2-4 in conference play, sits closer to the bottom of the SEC standings than the top.

And when the Gators (17-9) square off with Missouri (21-4, 4-2 SEC) this weekend in Columbia, Missouri, it’s no secret he’d like to see improvement from his offense.

Florida’s anemic bats enter the series dead last in the SEC in hitting (.240) and second-to-last in runs scored (120).

Only one player, outfielder Nelson Maldonado, is hitting .300 or higher.

Meanwhile, most of UF’s run producers and table-setters are struggling. JJ Schwarz, Jonathan India and Mike Rivera are all batting below .250, and 1-2 hitters Dalton Guthrie (.266) and Deacon Liput (.212) aren’t faring much better either.

For that reason, O’Sullivan has tinkered with the lineup many times this season.

“We’re trying to settle in on a lineup,” O’Sullivan said.

“There’s still a couple guys we need to figure out and get them going.”

That’ll be no easy task going up against the Tigers, a team with a 20-game win streak to their name already this season.

Led by junior Friday night starter Tanner Houck (3-2, 2.80) and the SEC’s ERA leader TJ Sikkema (5-0, 0.56), Missouri figures to be a difficult matchup for the Gators.

Two years ago, Houck carved up Florida in his home stadium to the tune of one run over eight innings. UF, however, touched him up for five runs in six frames a year ago.

At a time when Florida’s pitching staff is carrying the team, it could use a breather — a pressure-less weekend in which the bats carry the load.

Contact Patrick Pinak at ppinak@alligator.org or follow him on Twitter @pinakk12