More than 300 graduate students waited in line for massages, henna tattoos and a yoga class for UF’s second annual Graduate Student Appreciation Week.

The wellness event, hosted by UF’s Graduate School, was inspired by a focus group of 10 graduate students, said Erin Rice, an event organizer. She said the event was to share campus resources with graduate students, who may assume the resources are only for undergraduates.

“We want to make sure our graduate students know they have these resources here on campus to help them if they’re feeling anxious,” she said.

The event had several vendors from wellness groups at UF and in Gainesville, including the Counseling & Wellness Center, who sponsored the event.

Tessa Wimberly, a CWC psychology intern, said graduate students can experience a high level of anxiety and depression, and it’s important for UF to have resources for them.

“I think it’s kind of a stigma-breaking thing, to talk about mental health and how a lot of graduate students are struggling with mental health,” she said.

Miguel Rodriguez, a 29-year-old UF computer science doctoral student, wandered between the coloring table and massage line wearing a “UF Graduate Students Rock” pin. He said he feels valued by the university because of the appreciation events.

“As a grad student, it’s easy to lose track of everyday things because of the work and whatnot, so it’s important to have these spaces where you can refocus on yourself a little bit,” he said.

Contact Romy Ellenbogen at rellenbogen@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @romyellenbogen