Dachshunds race to raise money during Halloweener Derby

<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-73b59d59-47a8-9b0d-ef57-8687342f7207"><span>Tracker, a miniature dachshund, struts down the runway dressed as a minion from the movie series “Despicable Me.” Tracker won second place in the costume contest that was held after the races.</span></span></p>

Tracker, a miniature dachshund, struts down the runway dressed as a minion from the movie series “Despicable Me.” Tracker won second place in the costume contest that was held after the races.

Griffin, a 3-year-old dachshund, dashed for a green tennis ball with his tongue flapping.

A blur of blue wearing a No. 34 runner’s bib competed in the Third Annual Halloweener Derby at Westside Park, located at 1001 NW 34th St., on Sunday. Griffin, along with 21 other dachshunds, were cheered on by a crowd of about 60 people in the qualifier for the quarterfinals. Four rounds from 1:30 p.m. to 2 p.m. determined the two dachshunds who raced in the final round. Bowie, a reigning champion, beat out the other dogs for a second year.

This was Griffin’s first race, said his owner, Calie Osborne. Griffin, who has a cleft lip, was the only special needs dog participating.

“We’re hoping that he’s going to be able to prove everybody wrong, the doctors that told us to put him down and the people who told us it’s not right to keep him, that he isn’t a normal dog,” Osborne said. “We’re trying to prove everybody wrong and win a race.”

The event was hosted by the Climb for Cancer Foundation, which gives financial support to cancer patients and families. Ron Farb, a co-founder of the foundation, estimated the event would raise $4,000.

“A small amount of money can make such a big difference,” Farb said. “It really resonates with our donors because a lot of people don’t have much money to give, but when they hear that a $20 donation will buy a gas card, they can feel that and touch that.”

Half of the money raised will go to the UF College of Veterinary Medicine for research in sarcomas, soft tissue tumors that are found in children and dogs.

This year’s event featured a new race for Chihuahuas. Four dogs participated in the race, which a dog named Bruno won. Farb said he added the race after seeing a similar event in Winter Park, Florida.

“When I saw it online, I said it was too funny,” Farb said. “The animal lovers are so passionate about their animals, so I thought this would be a nice addition to the event.”

The dog owners could also enter their pets into a costume contest. Osborne said she thought the event’s proceeds went to a great cause.

“You take something like cancer and you turn it into a positive thing and bring the community together, which I think is great,” Osborne said. “I couldn’t think of a better way to do it, especially with how much people love their dogs.”