Don’t commit to an animal you can’t keep just to rehome it upon graduation

In a few months Facebook groups will be jam-packed with seniors saying they need to rehome their pets. It’s about time we have a discussion about how this is one of the worst things you can do to an animal.

My first column this semester talked about how I personally felt like my quality of life improved since I adopted a dog. I even went as far as to say that I could see how a lot of people in college could benefit from adopting a dog. Looking back, I’d like to revise my stance and say you should only do so if you’re 100 percent sure that dog, cat or chinchilla will become a permanent part of your family.

While it’s easy to see why people would feel the need to rehome or give up an animal if they had to move out of state, it’s really not fair to the pet at all. For one, you’re leaving your pet who has grown used to you in the hands of a stranger. This could lead to your pet becoming defensive or depressed. It’s not hard to see how defensive dogs get left at a pound. I would know because my dog, who is cute as a button, wasn’t adopted for almost a month because she would often nip anyone that came to see her. This was mostly due to her being abused and abandoned. While my dog, Bella, has slowly become better with people, I’d like to think that if she’d been with me all along she wouldn’t bite people because they put their hand a certain way or try to pick her up. Dogs and cats that are left on the curb often feel the need to put their guard up more the second time around.

Let me repeat this another time for the people in the back. Yes, that puppy might be cute now, and yes, you might think you’re committed to him or her, but if you’re hesitant, don’t commit unless you’re sure that animal is coming with you. If you’re unsure or think you might end up rehoming that animal, save yourself and your possible pet the heartache. Breakups are hard, but giving up an animal has to be worse. While you might be able to find peace in the decision, your pet won’t understand what’s going on, and this leads to animals becoming unnecessarily emotionally hurt and aggressive.

In most cases people choose to give up their pets because they’re moving and bringing a dog or cat halfway across the country is a “hassle.” But some of you might actually have to give your pet up because of living situations. In that case, the best thing you could do for your loved one is to rehome him or her to someone who the pet knows and trusts. While you might miss them, at least they’ll see a familiar face and won’t feel completely alone.

If you don’t see the problem with this or think you’re saving your pet from going through the extra stress from moving, I’d like you to put yourself in their shoes. One day you’re with the person you’ve been with for a year or maybe longer, and suddenly you live in a new place and there are new people trying to ruffle through your hair and get you to eat food that’s unfamiliar to you.

I’m not here to judge you if you have to give up your pet. I get it — life happens. But I would like you to take more care than some of the people I see in Facebook groups when you rehome your pet. If you absolutely must give away your pet to a stranger, try to give him or her to a no-kill shelter. At least then they stand a chance. More importantly, if you think it might come to that, wait until you’re more stable before you commit to a living being.

Sara Marino is a UF journalism senior. Her column appears on Wednesdays.