Fall Wellness Fair to discuss mental health and wellness

UF’s Student Government Cabinet is working with the UF Counseling & Wellness Center student ambassador program, AWARE, to destigmatize mental illness.

On Wednesday, the Fall Wellness Fair will take place on the Plaza of the Americas from noon to 3 p.m. All students are welcome to attend the fair and learn about on-campus organizations working to improve mental health, said Amanda Lawson-Ross, a clinical assistant professor at the CWC and the faculty advisor for AWARE, which stands for awareness wellness ambassadors reaching everyone.

GatorWell, the CWC, SG, the Dean of Students Office and other organizations will be at the fair.

“The main goals are twofold,” Lawson-Ross said. “We want the students to know what’s going on and what’s available, and then we want to make sure the organizations are all collaborating.”

Lawson-Ross said there are a number of stressors that impact a student, and many of these depend on what stage a student is at during their college career. A younger student can become stressed about being in a new environment, while an older student may stress about career planning.

Although all participating organizations will focus on bodily wellness, the center will have focused discussions on mental health, on-the-spot counselors and biofeedback therapy, Lawson-Ross said.

“We’re noticing the stigma surrounding mental illness is breaking down little by little, and the more we make it a regular part of the conversation the more the stigma will erase,” Lawson-Ross said. “The less we talk about it, the greater that stigma will grow.”

Gianella Perez, a 20-year-old UF psychology and Spanish junior, plans to attend the event.

“I want to become more involved with the counseling and wellness facilities on campus, and I want to understand how they are used to help our students,” Perez said.

Perez described herself as a very anxious person and said she is interested to know what resources she can take advantage of.

“Regardless of major, I think every student should be interested in this event because we all have stress at some point, and it’s important to be aware of the many ways UF can help us,” Perez said.

The fair comes almost two weeks after UF’s local fee committee voted against the CWC’s proposal for a student fee increase, citing affordability and other methods to possibly raise money for the center. The decision has been met with backlash, and at last Tuesday’s Student Senate meeting dozens of students came to complain.

Even if students can’t make it to the fair, Lawson-Ross said just setting aside time for themselves every day can benefit their mental health.

“Just stop and take a breath, and a breath can look different for everyone,” Lawson-Ross said. “For some people, it can physically be taking a breath, and for other people it can be calling a friend or getting lunch with somebody. Just take a moment do whatever it is that brings you joy.”