Field and Fork Pantry raises donation with campus competition

UF groups are competing in the Field & Fork Food Drive Competition to raise donations for the pantry.

Teachers and faculty will donate nonperishable items and toiletries to the Field and Fork Pantry, also known as the Alan and Cathy Hitchcock Pantry, by Nov. 7. The group that donates the most items will win a delivery of party snacks to celebrate, said Ambre Hobson, the assistant director of student success at UF and the supervisor of daily Field and Fork operations.

The pantry provides food and toiletries to anyone with a valid Gator 1 Card, Hobson said.

As of Thursday, six groups are participating, including the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences; the Dean of Students Office; the anthropology department; languages, literatures and cultures department; academic advising; and the English Language Institute.

Anna Prizzia, the campus food systems coordinator, spoke with Hobson about starting a food drive, Hobson said. Prizzia asked for the best time of year to donate, which is just before the holidays, she said.

“We are grateful for this food drive, but really any food drive and people who donate to the pantry,” Hobson said.

Ashley Novello, an 18-year-old UF marketing freshman, said she appreciates the food drive and Field and Fork Pantry for helping people at UF.

“We are so focused on problems outside of UF, and those are important,” Novello said. “But it is also important to remember that there are still people here within UF and in Gainesville who are struggling.”