Hippodrome screens Halloween movies

The Hippodrome Cinema is a place of horror and mystery October in celebration of Halloween.

From Friday to Halloween next Tuesday, the cinema will be screening “The Shining,” said Jason Potak, the Hippodrome Cinema director. The cinema will screen “The Crazies” on Thursday. From last Friday to Wednesday, “Re-Animator” and “Society” were shown, Potak said. General admission tickets online and at the box office are $9. Potak said the cinema screened a wide selection of quality films throughout the month.

“Any great film has the capability to resonate and also entertain,” he said. “Those are the types of films I strive to show.”

Potak said he carefully choose this month’s programming, keeping in mind the types of films that are ordinarily seen in a cinema.

“It’s a mix of looking for new and exciting things from upcoming directors and artists in the field while also considering films which preferably should be seen in a cinema,” he said.

The Hippodrome has not hosted an event like this before. Potak thought it would be a great way to incorporate some “out-there” films into The Hippodrome’s schedule.

Courtney Nguyen, a UF health education and behavior junior, is eager to attend a screening of “The Shining.”

“I watched it recently for the first time, and I think it would be really cool to see it in a cinema setting,” the 20-year-old said.