What's closed or canceled due to Richard Spencer

(This will be updated throughout the week. If you have any information on what's closing or will be open, email editor@alligator.org.) 

Richard Spencer will speak at the Phillips Center for the Performing Arts on Oct. 19 from 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.

What’s closed

The Florida Museum of Natural History, the Harn Museum of Art, and Steinmetz Hall will all be closed.

Southwest Recreation Center and the UVS Fields will close at 9 p.m. Wednesday and will reopen on Friday.

Broward and Graham area pools will close on Thursday.

No guests will be allowed at any Recreational Sports facilities on Wednesday or Thursday.

Bo Diddley Community Plaza will be closed Thursday.

What’s open

Classes will not be canceled the day of Richard Spencer’s speech.

Walk-in counseling hours for the Counseling and Wellness Center will be held in Peabody Hall on Thursday in a satellite office. The main Counseling & Wellness Center building will be closed Thursday.

Gator 1 Cards will be required at the entry of Reid Hall, where the Disability Resource Center is located, from Monday to Friday.

The Reitz Union will be open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday. On Thursday, entry points will be limited to the North Lawn entrance and the Circle Drive Breezeway. Event services are canceled after 6 p.m.

All libraries will be open regular hours, including 24 hour access to Library West, but Gator 1 Cards will be checked for entry on Wednesday, Thursday and possibly Friday.

Newell Hall will have limited hours and will check Gator 1 Cards for entry. It will be open on Wednesday from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Thursday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. It will open Friday at 8 a.m. and resume a 24/7 schedule.

Lubavitch Chabad Jewish Center will have extended hours, open from 9 a.m. until midnight, on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

Transportation

Portions of Hull Road, Bledsoe Drive, and Surge Area Drive will be closed.

A portion of Southwest 34th Street will be closed for vehicle traffic between Southwest Second Avenue and Southwest 20th Avenue. The road will close at 10 a.m. and is expected to reopen at 9 p.m.

Parking garages in front of the Phillips Center and the Hilton Hotel will be closed. Vehicles must be removed by 10 p.m. Wednesday. Students with decals can temporarily park at Flavet Field and move their vehicles by 6 p.m. Friday.

Bus routes 117, 118, 119 and 125 will be closed the day of the event.

Bus routes 20, 21, 28, and 33 will be rerouted to Radio Road.

Security measures

All residence halls will need Gator 1 Card swipe access to enter beginning Monday.

Prohibited items are not allowed near the Phillips Center.

Events

No Nazis at UF is planning a protest meeting at SW 34th Street and SW 20th Ave to march to the Phillips Center. They are also having a teach-in on Tuesday in Dauer Hall from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.

CANCELED: Gail Johnson, candidate for Gainesville City Commission At-Large Seat 1, is hosting her campaign kickoff at 6 p.m. at Bodeology, located at 15 SW First Ave. The kickoff will celebrate diversity and equality in Gainesville with different speakers; Vietnamese, Jamaican and Mediterranean cuisine; and a local DJ playing hometown musicians like Tom Petty. It’s very much an anti-Spencer event, she said.