A new hotel near The Standard will open soon

<p><span>The new AC Hotel Gainesville Downtown overlooks Midtown on NW 14th Street. The 10-story hotel is set to open on </span><span class="aBn" data-term="goog_750450630"><span class="aQJ">Feb. 20.</span></span></p>

The new AC Hotel Gainesville Downtown overlooks Midtown on NW 14th Street. The 10-story hotel is set to open on Feb. 20.

Gainesville visitors will have a new hotel to choose from starting this month.

The AC Hotel Gainesville Downtown, located at 151 NW 14th St. in the same building as The Standard apartment complex, will open its doors Feb. 20 and begin renting rooms Feb. 22, said Kristin Bond, the hotel’s director of sales. Prices for rooms begin at around $200. Along with the 144 rooms available, guests will have access to a rooftop pool, fitness center and lounge.

“There’s a lot of really nice things that are really going to elevate the Gainesville area,” she said.

The AC stands for Antonio Catalan, President of AC Hotels. The 10-story hotel has a European-style, modern design, Bond said. It will also incorporate local businesses into the experience by serving beer from Swamp Head Brewery and First Magnitude Brewing Company in the lounge.

Megan Morey, a UF finance sophomore and resident at The Standard, likes that AC Hotel is taking the opportunity to promote Gainesville businesses but has some concerns about it.

She worries that because hotel guests will share the parking garage with The Standard residents, it will become crowded and dangerous, the 19-year-old said.

“The parking garage in general is already pretty dangerous,” she said. “So, like for people who don’t live there, like there’s really sharp turns. You have to be careful.”

Morey also said that residents at The Standard can be loud, and guests at the new hotel may not like the environment.

“The student population — they’re loud; they blare music until like 3 a.m.,” she said. “I don’t think people who stay there will like it very much.”

Contact Jessica Giles at jgiles@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter at @jessica_giles_