UF counselor remembered for kindness, saving lives

<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-e31c0408-6091-b7b1-86d8-8ebafcd089ae"><span>Roberta Albers-Seldman</span></span></p>

Roberta Albers-Seldman

Roberta Albers-Seldman was a woman before her time.

She championed mental health at UF at a time when it wasn’t respected, helping people through difficult situations by sharing encouraging quotes, genuine love and words of support.

Albers-Seldman started her counseling career at the Student Mental Health Services, which was part of the Student Health Care Center. She began working with the University Athletic Association as a psychologist before the Student Mental Health Services merged with UF’s Counseling & Wellness Center in 2010. She died March 13 from a thoracic aortic aneurysm, said UF soccer coach Becky Burleigh.

“That smile of hers is something I’ll never forget for the rest of my life, and I’ll carry it in my heart forever,” said Livia Ledbetter, a UF sociology and women’s studies junior.

Ledbetter, 20, was out of town when a counselor at the CWC called to say Albers-Seldman had died.

“I heard those words and everything stopped,” Ledbetter said.

Ledbetter first met with Albers-Seldman in May 2016 when Ledbetter was a sophomore. She kept making appointments because she said Albers-Seldman truly understood her.

“I could write a whole book about how amazing she was,” Ledbetter said. “She made me feel validated, loved and accepted.”

Burleigh said Albers-Seldman was an advocate for mental health at a time when it was stigmatized, especially in sports, as well as was one of the first female counselors at UF.

She described Albers-Seldman as someone who could make anyone feel like they were the only person in the room.

“Roberta probably never realized the impact she had on so many people,” Burleigh said.

Peter Nguyenho, a UF psychology junior, wrote in an email that Albers-Seldman helped him find reasons to live as he grappled with depression and suicidal thoughts.

“I will always remember her for saving my life,” 20-year-old Nguyenho said. “Dr. Seldman never once judged me for any of the things I opened up to her about.”

When he found out about her death, he met with a counselor at the CWC and broke down, he said.

After the session, he went into Albers-Seldman’s office, where he had sat across from her before, telling her his fears and thoughts. He sat in her chair and cried.

“I feel if Dr. Seldman was here right now, she would give me a warm hug, place her hand on my shoulder, and tell me everything will be okay and that life is still beautiful,” he said.

Correction: This story has been updated to reflect that UF soccer coach Becky Burleigh said Albers-Seldman was one of the first female counselors at UF. That was previously attributed to Livia Ledbetter.

Correction: This story has been updated t reflect that Albers-Seldman started her career at the Student Mental Health Services, which merged with UF’s Counseling & Wellness Center in 2010. While at UF, she worked with the UAA but did not start her career there, as previously reported. 

Contact Robert Lewis at rlewis@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter at @Lewis__Robert

Roberta Albers-Seldman