Something happened February 17, 2016 in my hometown of Melbourne. Something I couldn’t stop thinking about and still think of from time to time.

A couple purchased the winning Powerball jackpot ticket at a Publix that I had been to many times, just a few miles from my house. I was 17 at the time, and all day at school I kept thinking about it. People laughed and marveled in the curiosity, but I took it personal. I felt like God was playing a joke on me. I was sure the whole world, the lottery system and my hometown was set up and rigged against me. It felt like I, alone, was being punished by being three months away from 18, in a town where a $528.7 million lottery ticket was sold.

It isn’t uncommon for teenagers to feel like the whole world revolves around them. And it definitely isn’t uncommon for teenagers to have identity crises — which is what I was having. Just a week earlier I had been denied admission to multiple colleges and found out I would attend UF with the Innovation Academy in Spring rather than regular Fall. I felt helpless, and a lot of my friends did too.

It’s not hard to understand why most teenagers are frustrated. They feel like adults but are treated like children. They’re so close to freedom but entirely scared of it. By the time most people reach 20, they transform from deserving kids into appreciative adults. College can be the catalyst for this change. This development is expected and typical; it’s part of growing up. The entitlement I felt toward life to give me my dream school or Mega Millions ticket is something a lot of teens feel. Gratitude is what distinguishes an adult from a child.  

When we arrive at college as freshmen, we find the things we want are difficult to get. It’s a competitive atmosphere, and it’s hard to get internships or to become a club president. This forces us to work harder and truly appreciate the fruits of our labor. Lately, I notice myself trying to burden my parents less and creating opportunity on my own. Taking money from my parents isn’t fun anymore — it’s embarrassing. As I contemplate my 20th birthday coming up in a few days, I think this growth is something worth noting.

Being a teenager was fun. There was more room for error. Any attention was good attention. We were encouraged to dream big, not practically. But as you move into your twenties, look forward to more recognition and less reprimands. Take advantage of your mental and physical peak to advance yourself professionally. Things aren’t given to us anymore; we have to get them for ourselves. My teen years are gone, but I’m not sad and you shouldn’t be either.

Layla Soboh is a UF advertising junior. Her column comes out Tuesday.