UF football recruit charged with domestic battery, false imprisonment

crime tape
crime tape

Justin Watkins, an incoming freshman and 2018 four-star recruit of the UF football team, has been suspended from all activities after being arrested by University Police on Tuesday for domestic battery and false imprisonment.

Watkins and his girlfriend were in his dorm in the Keys Residential Complex when the incident happened Friday.

watkins

According to the arrest report, Watkins, 19, was holding the victim down on a bed as he was hitting her shoulders and both sides of her head with an opened and closed fist.

Watkins then got on top of her, pinning her to the bed again. He allegedly wrapped both of his hands around the victim’s throat, blocking her airway and making it difficult for her to breathe.

He reportedly choked her for about 15 seconds at first and then choked her twice more for about eight seconds each time.

Watkins knew she had asthma, the victim said. They had been in a relationship since December 2017.

Watkins then stood in front of the doorway to his room, blocking the exit. According to the arrest report, the victim said she wanted to leave and told Watkins to get out of the way.

When she tried to leave, Watkins reportedly grabbed her hair and belt, yanking her back into the room. In self-defense, the victim sprayed him with mace.

Watkins then chased her out the door and down the stairs, according to the report. He allegedly threw a hard wooden brush and a container of hair grease at her hands, which caused bleeding and swelling.

Three days after the incident, UPD took photographs of the injuries. The victim’s injuries were consistent with her statement.

According to an article from 247Sports, UF coach Dan Mullen said through a UF spokesperson Tuesday, “Justin Watkins has been suspended immediately from all activities.”

This is the second time in three months where Watkins has faced criminal charges. In May, he was arrested for trespassing in the parking lot of Vanguard High School in his hometown of Ocala, Florida. Watkins allegedly kicked the victim’s car, attempted to deflate one of the tires and broke her phone during the incident.

Watkins was charged with false imprisonment and three counts of battery for this incident. He posted a $40,000 bond and was released at 2:51 p.m. Wednesday.

Follow Jessica Curbelo on Twitter @jesscurbelo and contact her at jcurbelo@alligator.org.