Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A Gainesville man accused of drunk driving was arrested after his car flipped over several times early Saturday morning, police said.

Jeffrey Todd Jones, 47, remembered people pulling him out of his upside-down car but didn’t remember the crash, according to a Gainesville Police arrest report.

A woman told police Jones hit the back of her car when the streetlight turned green at the 3500 block of Northwest 39th Avenue, the report said. She saw his car flip over several times before it landed upside down.

Police found a broken beer bottle and a beer Koozie, the report said. Paramedics told police that Jones didn’t want medical treatment.

Jones told officers he drank about five beers at Munegin’s On 13th, at 4005 NW 13th St., the report said. While speaking with police, Jones grabbed the left side of his ribs and said he felt sore.

When an officer asked Jones for his driver’s license, he forgot what the officer asked for while pulling out his wallet, police said.

Police noticed Jones reaching into his front pocket and throwing something behind his back. A green pipe containing marijuana landed next to a patrol car, police said.

Jones was charged with driving under the influence and tampering with evidence.

He was taken to North Florida Regional Medical Center before police took him to the Alachua County Jail. His bond is set at $5,000, according to jail records.

Contact Jessica Curbelo at jcurbelo@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @jesscurbelo