Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A Gainesville man stole his car back from a towing company Sunday afternoon, police said.

Robert Louis Robinson, 21, of Gainesville, is accused of entering Elite Auto Center Towing, at 4215 NW Sixth St., and leaving the towing yard without paying his fees, according to a Gainesville Police arrest report.

When Robinson first asked for his car, which was legally towed earlier that day, an employee at the company told Robinson to come back later because the company only releases cars Monday through Friday.

Police said the towing company temporarily owns the car until the owner pays for the towing bills. The car is then released.

Robinson ignored the employee and tried to open his car with the key he brought with him, the report said.

When Robinson reached for his pocket, the employee thought he had a weapon, the report said. The employee talked to him because he was not sure what Robinson had in his pocket and did not want to further escalate the situation.

The employee told Robinson several times that he could not take the car, but Robinson drove out of the yard anyway, the report said. The employee later identified Robinson in a photo lineup.

Robinson later told officers that the situation was a misunderstanding, and he was willing to pay the tow fees, the report said. He denied taking the vehicle after the employee told him he was not allowed to.

After his deputies arrested him, his car was towed again, the report said. The value of the car was not released.

Robinson is charged with grand theft and was released from the Alachua County Jail on his own recognizance at noon Monday. Robinson declined to comment.

Contact Alyssa Ramos at aramos@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @LysKRamos