Garden for suicide victims’ families to be renamed for mental health activist

This April will mark 16 years without Judy Broward’s son, Brett.

Brett died by suicide, and since then Broward has spent the last 15 years trying to change the conversation on mental health locally.

On Nov. 17, which is National Survivors of Suicide Day, Gainesville Mayor Lauren Poe announced that the Survivors of Suicide Memory Garden in the Cofrin Nature Park would be renamed in Broward’s honor.

“Judy Broward is a local community treasure who never asks for recognition for anything,” Poe said.

The park, located at 4810 NW Eighth Ave., opened in 2013 and is a place for anyone who has been affected by suicide to pray, reflect or visit the memory of lost loved ones, Poe said.

About 70 people came out to the commemoration, which was held at night in honor of those who commit suicide and the people who knew them, Broward said.

Broward has served as the president of the National Alliance on Mental Illness.

She said she was overwhelmed by the honor of the park being renamed after her. She is proud of the impact the garden has made on the community. People have called her to say how much it means to them.

“Here’s something that cannot be taken away,” Broward said.

Alligator Staff Writer Dana Cassidy contributed to this report.

Contact Hannah Beatty at hbeatty@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter @hannahbeatty_