Generic Crime
Generic Crime

University Police said a UF student kicked a car he thought belonged to his girlfriend.

Kevin Gonzalez Mojica, 21, of Fort Pierce, was arrested after police got a call about a suspicious person in the parking lot of McCarty Hall at 1680 McCarty Drive at about 1:40 a.m. Sunday, according to an arrest report.

Mojica was accused of kicking a vehicle and trying to enter a white Toyota RAV4 by pulling on the door handles, police said. It is unclear in the arrest report whether he was kicking the same car he attempted to enter.

Police found Mojica holding onto the driver’s side door handle in the parking lot, the report said. There was damage to the car that appeared to be worth more than $200.

He later told police that he was kicking the car because he thought it belonged to his girlfriend, whom he was mad at, the report said.

A UF employee also witnessed the incident, police said.

Mojica could not immediately be reached for comment.

UPD charged Mojica with criminal mischief. He was released from the Alachua County Jail Sunday morning on his own recognizance.

Contact Jessica Curbelo at jcurbelo@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @jesscurbelo