Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A man accused of cocaine possession tried to smuggle one extra baggie of it into jail Sunday morning, police said.

John G. Cochran, 28, of Gainesville, was accused of possessing five plastic baggies of cocaine after he was pulled over in the 6900 block of Archer Road, according to an Alachua County Sheriff’s Office arrest report.

Cochran was driving a blue Chevrolet pick-up truck south down Southwest 75th Street when a  deputy pulled him over, the report said. The report does not say why Cochran was pulled over.

Another deputy searched Cochran and found two small plastic baggies of a white powdery substance in John's front right pants pocket and another small baggie in his car, the report said.  

On the way to the Alachua County Jail, Cochran told deputies he did not have any other illegal items on him, the report said.  

Once inside the jail, deputies searched him again and found a small, clear baggie of cocaine stuffed in a small pocket of his wallet, the report said.

Cochran was charged with possessing cocaine and smuggling contraband into the jail, the report said. He was released from the Alachua County Jail on a bond valued at $10,000 Monday evening.

When The Alligator reached out to Cochran, he declined to comment.

Contact Alyssa Ramos at aramos@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @LysKRamos