<p>Cox</p>

Cox

Deputies arrested a man wanted for a carjacking after he was accused of kicking a law enforcement dog Friday.

This is the second time Samuel Ruben Cox, 30, of Gainesville, has been accused of harming police dogs. He was arrested for a warrant, which was issued about a month ago, for failing to appear on charges of carjacking and battery on an officer and a K-9, according to an Alachua County Sheriff’s Office arrest report.

At about 11 a.m., deputies were told Cox was near East Newport Baptist Church, at 4010 SW 24th Ave., the report said.

After Cox was told multiple times to come out, he locked himself in a bathroom, the report said. Deputies removed the door, and when the sheriff’s dog ran in Cox kicked it and pushed a deputy. It took three deputies to arrest him.

The warrant was for a carjacking incident on Aug. 7, the report said. Cox opened a car door while the driver was inside and fought for control of the door.

The driver closed the door on Cox’s hand and drove away, the report said.

Cox ran toward S.R. 45 and went inside a nearby house, the report said. He then went through the back door into the woods, the report said.

When deputies found and tried to arrest him, he was bitten by K-9 Knight, the report said. Cox bit one deputy in the elbow, hit another and Knight. It took six deputies put him in handcuffs.

For Friday’s incident, he was charged with resisting an officer with violence, battery on an officer and harming a police animal.

Cox remained in jail on Monday in lieu of a $91,000 bond.

Contact Katherine Wallace-Fernandez atkwallace-fernandez@alligator.organd follow her on Twitter@katwf98.

Cox