crime
crime

An unidentified white male unsuccessfully tried to steal a person’s dog Wednesday afternoon. 

Gainesville Police are investigating an attempt of a strong-arm robbery near SW 1st Ave. and SW 13th St., according to an email from UF Public Safety. The suspect is accused of pushing the victim after grabbing the dog but did not escape with it. 

The suspect, described to be about 40 years old and 6 feet with a heavy build, was wearing a khaki jacket, a hat and black jeans, according to the email. He was last seen at about 2:15 p.m. going north from the 100 block of SW 13th Street. 

“In the interest of public safety, the UFPD is notifying the community of this incident,” according to the email. 

Officials with the Gainesville Police Department and the UF Police Department did not immediately respond to calls from The Alligator.

Those with information related to the incident, those who were in the area or those who might know the suspect’s identity are urged to call the Gainesville Police Department at 352-955-1818.

Contact Lina Ruiz at lruiz@alligator.org Follow her on Twitter @Lina_Ruiz48.