<p>The new Orangetheory fitness location will hold its Grand Opening Party today from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.</p>

The new Orangetheory fitness location will hold its Grand Opening Party today from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.

Orangetheory Fitness does not have open gym hours, lifting machines or even a weight room. Despite that, it celebrates its third grand opening in Gainesville in five years today.

The first two Orangetheory locations are in the Millhopper Shopping Center and on Archer Road. The newest addition will be housed underneath The Standard apartment complex on Northwest 13th Street.

According to their website, Orangetheory is a gym devoted to group fitness workouts, convenience and friendliness.

“We want to know our members’ names,” Karen Tumbleson, Orangetheory area manager, said.

The classes, which are typically an hour long, are led by one of the 14 to 15 coaches that the gym provides, each of which has a personal training certification. 

The University Avenue location has approximately 300 members signed up for the grand opening, although these numbers are dwarfed by the 1,000 and 900 members that Archer and Millhopper boast, respectively. 

Tommy Mcknew, owner of all three Orangetheory locations, chose the University location because of its proximity to campus in hopes to draw more students. 

“We’ve gotten students,” Tumbleson said, “But, we’ve also gotten a lot of faculty as well.”

The science behind Orangetheory is known as high intensity interval training, or HIIT. This method is described by Orangetheory’s website as “heart-rate based training” and sets it apart from other gyms in the area.

“We’re science-backed and technology-supported,” Tumbleson said.

Every one of the gym’s fitness classes are HIIT, with the focus alternating among endurance, power and strength. 

“Half of the time, you’re on the treadmill,” Callen DeLucas, studio manager at the University location, said. “The rest of the time is usually between the rowing machine and light weights.” 

Demographically, Orangetheory intends to target 19 to 60 year olds who are mostly female. Thirty percent of their customers are male. 

One of those 19 to 60 year olds is Sarah Gillman, a 21-year-old UF accounting junior. 

“I like having certified trainers,” she said. “It’s more personal. They get to know your name.”

Gillman also said that accountability is a big reason why a price tag shouldn’t defer people from getting a membership. 

“They don’t stop caring about you once you walk out of the door,” she said. “Just come to a class.” 

The gym’s lowest membership starts at $59 per month. Tumbleson declined to give a price for the highest-priced membership plan, and pricing was not available on their website.

Contact Timothy Williams at timothy.williams@ufl.edu. Follow him on Twitter @timothy3pk.