Tulsi Gabbard is the only person of color left in the election. But polls don’t show her as the top choice.

<p>FILE - In this Feb. 8, 2020, file photo, Democratic presidential candidate Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, D-Hawaii, speaks during the McIntyre-Shaheen 100 Club Dinner in Manchester, N.H. Gabbard of Hawaii, who was born in American Samoa, received one delegate. Bloomberg’s decisive win over the local-born Gabbard was startling, but the Hawaii congresswoman had a late start campaigning in the territory compared with the billionaire. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer, File)</p>

FILE - In this Feb. 8, 2020, file photo, Democratic presidential candidate Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, D-Hawaii, speaks during the McIntyre-Shaheen 100 Club Dinner in Manchester, N.H. Gabbard of Hawaii, who was born in American Samoa, received one delegate. Bloomberg’s decisive win over the local-born Gabbard was startling, but the Hawaii congresswoman had a late start campaigning in the territory compared with the billionaire. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer, File)

Yes, Tulsi Gabbard is still running as a Democrat for president.

Gabbard is a representative for Hawaii’s 2nd District, and she is the last person of color and the last woman left in the presidential race.

At UF, however, she doesn’t have much of a fanbase from cultural organizations.

Stephon Adams, political action chair of UF’s NAACP, said he understands the need for minority and female representation in the election — but he doesn’t see Gabbard as a strong contender against President Donald Trump.

“It would be nice to put a female opponent up there, but we haven’t found a female opponent that’s very much a tough rider,” the 21-year-old said. 

Adams, a UF political science junior, said he has noticed people in his organization leaning toward Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden for the upcoming election, although the organization is non-partisan. 

National statistics will tell a similar story. 

As of Tuesday, Gabbard has 3 percent of the support from Democratic primary voters, according to a March poll by Morning Consult, a global research survey company.

The polling research for Florida reveals even lower support numbers. Since Feb. 21, 0 percent of Democratic primary voters in the state indicated their intention to vote for Gabbard, according to a survey conducted by Florida Southern College, a small private college in Lakeland. 

While the Asian American Student Association is also non-partisan, AASU’s archivist Emma Sanchez said she personally supports Bernie Sanders. Gabbard’s electability might be less viable because of sexism and racism in America, she added. 

“We like people that look like us,” Sanchez, a 19-year-old UF international studies sophomore, said. “If we can’t identify with a candidate, (we are) less likely to vote for them, and that’s where people of color may seriously hurt just when it comes to politics.”

Contact Allessandra Inzinna at ainzinna@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @ainzinna.

Allessandra Inzinna

Allessandra is a third-year journalism major with a minor in English. In the past, she has covered local musicians and the cannabis industry. She is now the Student Government reporter for The Alligator. Allessandra paints and plays guitar in her free time.