Lorenz set to join softball coaching staff as volunteer assistant

<p>The Florida softball team before its series against the Ragin' Cajuns. Lorenz will be returning to the program this year as a volunteer assistant coach.</p>

The Florida softball team before its series against the Ragin' Cajuns. Lorenz will be returning to the program this year as a volunteer assistant coach.

Former Gator Amanda Lorenz will be returning to the program this upcoming year as a Volunteer Assistant Coach, the team announced Friday.

Lorenz, who was the first Gator in history to be named a four-time All-SEC First Team selection, is stepping into the new role after spending the 2020 season with the team as a student assistant coach.

Lorenz will be working with head coach Tim Walton and assistant coach Aric Thomas as she brings her talent on the diamond and leadership experience to the program.

“I’m excited to continue sharing my passion for Florida softball and do anything I can to help this team be successful,” Lorenz said in a press release.

While playing for the University of Florida under Coach Walton, Lorenz led the Gators to three consecutive SEC regular season titles (2016-18), back-to-back SEC Tournament victories (2018-19) , and a trio of Women’s College World Series appearances (2017-2019). 

Lorenz also has the highest batting average (.407), on-base percentage (.547), and times walked (238) in program history. She also ended her career at UF second in hits, third in runs, fourth in RBIs, and sixth in home runs. She shone with the glove as well, with a career fielding percentage of .995, good enough for fifth in Gator history. 

Lorenz was the SEC Player of the Year and a finalist for USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year her junior season, as well as being named All-SEC Defensive Team her senior year after a move from outfield to first base.

After watching her as a player, Walton is excited to have Lorenz back in Gainesville in a different role.

“Amanda is one of (the) most talented, hardest working, and smartest players I’ve ever had the pleasure of coaching,” Walton said in a release. “Her knowledge of the game, experience as an elite athlete and the skills she has learned over her career both as an outfielder and first baseman make her an invaluable asset for our program to have.”

Follow Ryan Haley on Twitter @ryan_dhaley.

Ryan Haley

Ryan Haley, a UF journalism senior with a sports & media specialization from Jacksonville, Florida, is Summer 2022's Engagement Managing Editor. He grew up playing a bunch of different sports before settling on golf, following Rory McIlroy and all Philadelphia sports teams. He also loves all things fiction, reading, watching shows and movies and talking about whatever current story or character is in his head.

DM Ryan on Twitter or shoot him an email.