Johnson in critical but stable condition after collapsing against FSU

Johnson is at Tallahassee Memorial Hospital in critical but stable condition, UF confirms. This is a developing story.

Junior Keyontae Johnson collapsed at midcourt Saturday after a timeout during Florida's game against rival FSU.

Gators forward Keyontae Johnson is in critical but stable condition at Tallahassee Memorial Hospital after collapsing on the court early in Florida basketball's match against Florida State on Saturday, as first reported by SINow after UF official Denver Parler confirmed.

Florida’s SEC Preseason Player of the Year fell to the hardwood after the Gators roared out to an early 11-3 lead against their state rival. He was stretchered off to the locker room as Florida players broke out in tears.

Graham Hall of the Gainesville Sun reported Johnson had his eyes open in a photo taken of him being taken off the court.

Gators coach Mike White and the players were given the option to cancel the game before the team elected to continue play.

White did not address the media after the game. He will stay in Tallahassee with Johnson as the rest of the team travels back to Gainesville.

Florida State head coach Leonard Hamilton said he would have accepted Florida’s decision to cancel the remainder of the game, as reported by Edgar Thompson of the Orlando Sentinel. He said it was his “understanding” the Gators wanted to play out the contest.

Gators coach Mike White and the players were given the option to cancel the game before the team elected to continue play. UF entered the half trailing 45-35 against FSU.

This story will be updated when more is known about Johnson’s condition. No other information is available at this time.

Contact Dylan O'Shea at doshea@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @dylanoshea24.