Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Josh Rivera named SEC Co-Newcomer of the Week

The Gators’ shortstop picked up five hits and an RBI in the weekend series win against Vanderbilt

Josh Rivera prepares to throw across the infield against Jacksonville March 14. Rivera was named SEC Co-Newcomer of the Week Monday for his performance against Vanderbilt.

Florida baseball’s Josh Rivera was named SEC Co-Newcomer of the Week Monday. The announcement followed the now-No. 10 Gators’ weekend series win against the previously No. 2 Vanderbilt Commodores. 

The infielder’s weekend performance at the plate helped the Gators overpower the Commodores on offense. The shortstop went 5-11 on the series to lead the team with a .455 batting average and batted in a run. 

Rivera recorded a hit and a run scored in Friday’s loss. In Saturday’s win, Rivera went 3-4 with an RBI and two runs scored. 

Rivera’s three-hit game on Saturday was a season high for the freshman. The Avon Park, Florida, native also reached a season-high in runs scored and fielding assists. 

Rivera added his first extra-base hit of the weekend with a double on Sunday.

Although 2021 is Rivera’s second year as a Gator, this season marks the first time Rivera experienced SEC play due to 2020’s early ending. 

Rivera and the Gators look to carry the momentum from the weekend into a midweek head-to-head against Stetson on Tuesday. 

Contact Sara Kate Dyson at skatedyson@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @sarakatedyson