COVID 19  |  UF

COVID-19 Update: UF surpassed 10,000 total cases since tracking began

As the university announced a return to pre-pandemic norms, the campus maintained a 2% positivity rate.

UF surpassed 10,000 total positive COVID-19 cases Saturday since tracking began in March 2020. This comes as the university announced plans to no longer require masks and return to pre-pandemic operations starting June 28.

The campus maintained a 2% positivity rate since May 11.

As of Tuesday, 107 UF students and 33 UF employees are currently quarantined or in isolation. The number decreased by 9 students and 6 employees since May 11.

Alachua County added 24 positive cases and 656 negative cases to its dashboard Monday with a 3.53% daily positive rate. The rate is 0.27% less than the 2 week positivity average.

The county reported 2 fatalities Monday bringing the total to 281 deaths.

UF Health Shands Hospital had 8% adult ICU availability (21 beds) Tuesday, and North Florida Regional Medical Center had 21% (10 beds), according to the Agency for Health Care Administration of Florida.

A total of 125,311 COVID-19 vaccinations have been administered to Alachua County residents as of Monday. Of these vaccinations, 24,130 residents have received the first dose and 101,181 residents have received both doses, according to the Alachua County COVID-19 dashboard.

The number of residents receiving the second dose has increased 9.3% since May 11.

Contact Alexandra Harris at aharris@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @harris_alex_m.

Alexandra Harris

Alexandra is a senior journalism major reporting on Science/Environment for The Alligator. Her work has appeared in The Gainesville Sun, and she filed public records requests for the Why Don't We Know investigative podcast. She has a passion for the environment.