Gainesville’s city hall evacuated due to chemical leak

City hall is operational again after Gainesville Fire Rescue deemed most of the building clear of chemicals

Graphic of Gainesville City Hall and the County Administration Building

Gainesville’s city hall was evacuated before the regular city commission meeting July 15 after chemical fumes leaked into its ventilation system.

The commission meeting was canceled July 15 and rescheduled for July 19. Some of the treatments used for an ongoing roof replacement were accidentally released into the building’s air conditioning system. The treatments contained acetone and APTES, which can be hazardous to inhale. 

Gainesville Fire Rescue recommended the evacuation out of an abundance of caution, Shelby Taylor, a city spokesperson, said.

The building is open and operational again except for one section, which is still being monitored, Taylor said.

The roof is being replaced for the first time since 1964 after water leaks were reported in the building, Taylor said. A 2017 report on the building deemed the roof to be in need of repairs, according to the Gainesville Sun.

@alexlugo67

alugo@alligator.org

Alexander Lugo

Alex is a fourth-year journalism student at UF and is in his third semester at The Alligator where he is serving as the university editor. He previously reported on university administration and the city and county commission. In his free time, he enjoys video games, traveling and being outdoors.