Join The Alligator’s Sports, Avenue and multimedia team in Spring 2022!

We’re hiring sports reporters, culture writers, graphic designers and a multimedia editor

<p>Join our Spring 2023 staff by applying today.</p>

Join our Spring 2023 staff by applying today.

Are you interested in growing your career in media and communications? Are you ready to join a network of alumni at organizations like The New York Times, The Washington Post, Axios and The Wall Street Journal? The Independent Florida Alligator is looking for its next team of reporters, editors, photographers and more for the Spring semester. 

The Alligator is an entirely student-run and editorially independent newspaper covering the University of Florida and greater Gainesville community. The staff is made up of reporters, editors, photographers and designers from UF and Santa Fe College with varying levels of journalism and college experience. Each semester, The Alligator hires a new staff for the duration of the semester. We’re currently hiring for Spring 2022. A new staff will be hired for Summer 2022 around April.

Because of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, The Alligator will continue to operate remotely for the Spring. All mandatory events, such as our weekly staff meetings on Sunday, will take place over Zoom. We prioritize the health and safety of our reporters above all else — all staff members are expected to social distance, wear masks and conduct their reporting safely.

The Alligator is a digital-first newsroom, and we strive to deliver engaging online content to our audience and highly value innovative ways to tell stories and integrate multimedia components to our work. Staff are expected to produce daily content for the website and newsletters. In addition to our online content, The Alligator prints once a week on Sundays.

Alligator reporters regularly cover high-profile, national events. 

Over the course of 2021, they’ve been instrumental in providing daily and in-depth coverage of the greater Gainesville community. We’ve held UF accountable by digging into its decision to restrict professors from testifying in court cases and reporting detailed accounts of abuse under former women’s head basketball coach Cam Newbauer. We followed up on coverage of Black Lives Matter and pedestrian crashes with deeply reported, semester-long investigative projects. We were crucial in providing in-depth coverage of the COVID-19 pandemic and sexual violence on campus

The Alligator’s work has been referenced in national outlets such as Miami Herald, ESPN and CNN

We want to continue this long record of notable coverage. Our newsroom fosters the fundamental ideals of journalism: Not accepting things at face value, asking tough questions and telling important stories. 

Being part of The Alligator staff also connects students to a large, diverse and distinguished alumni network. Alligator alumni have gone on to positions, fellowships and professional internships at The New York Times, The Washington Post, CNN, Miami Herald, Tampa Bay Times, Orlando Sentinel, Sun Sentinel, The Palm Beach Post and more. Our alumni include back-to-back Alligator editors-in-chief who were the first two New York Times fellows from UF, as well as at least four subsequent Pulitzer Prize winners. 

Beyond joining an expansive alumni network, working at The Alligator is a great opportunity to meet other passionate student journalists and make lifelong friendships. Hundreds of successful journalists, authors, writers and more have started their careers at The Alligator. We’re ready to continue that tradition and build the next generation of Alligator journalists. Now is your chance to join. 

Please read through the positions we’re hiring.

Application tips from the Editor-in-Chief

• All applications are due at 11:59 p.m. on Jan. 2.

• Please submit one application per section. For example, you can submit separate applications to be an editor, a staff writer and a photographer. However, if you are interested in two reporting positions, submit one staff writer application and declare your preferences in the space provided.

• Submit your Google Form. If you have difficulties uploading your resume, clips or class schedule, you can email them to lhubbard@alligator.org.

• Only submit three to five of your best clips. 

• If you're applying to a multimedia position, submit or send us your portfolio.

• Pay attention to your grammar and our directions. Read everything twice.

• If you’re on the fence about applying, let us know. We’d be happy to answer any questions or concerns you have. You can reach the Editor-in-Chief by emailing lhubbard@alligator.org.

Multimedia Editor Applications

Click HERE to apply.

Applications are due at 11:59 p.m. Jan. 2. We recommend that you apply well before the deadline. 

The multimedia editor is responsible for working with photographers and illustrators to provide multimedia content for the newspaper and The Alligator website. The editor is responsible for producing some media content while assigning daily and enterprise photo and video assignments for staff photographers and videographers. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about multimedia and is willing to collaborate with reporters to create content. Journalism and communications majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Pay: About $45 per week

Multimedia Applications

Click HERE to apply. 

Photographers (multiple positions)

Photographers capture the details stories cannot tell on their own. Through speeches, protests, features, sports and daily events on campus, photographers are on the front lines to preserve the history of the community. Photographers are expected to take three to four photos a week that would accompany daily stories. Photographers are also required to complete at least one photo story per month. Although a photographer’s priority is to shoot photos, knowing how to shoot and edit video is also recommended. Previous contributing experience is preferred but not required. Photojournalism majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students. 

Pay: About $3.50 per published photo

Visualization Producer/Graphic Designer/Illustrator (multiple positions)

The graphic designers will be visual communicators to make it easy and fun for readers to interpret hard-hitting stories. This position is aimed at pushing our digital and online content further. Flexible applicants are preferred, but graphic designers and data visualizers should complete at least two graphics per week.The Alligator is looking for someone who would seize the opportunity to get creative and have their work published. Knowledge of data visualizations, graphics, Adobe programs, coding and an eye for great design are pluses. We’d love someone who can also code unique story packages. Journalism and communications majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply, especially those with a computer science background. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students. 

Pay: About $7 per published graphic

Data Visualization Producer

The data visualization designers will visually communicate complicated and large data stories and packages. They should have experience with graphic design and data journalism. Knowledge of graphics, Adobe programs, coding and an eye for great design are pluses. This position is aimed at pushing our digital and online content further. Flexible applicants are preferred, but graphic designers and data visualizers should complete at least two graphics per week. 

Journalism and communications majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply, especially those with a computer science background. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students. 

Pay: About $7 per published graphic

El Caimán Applications

Click HERE to apply. 

Translators (multiple positions)

This translator will be responsible for translating stories and visual content from The Alligator’s coverage to El Caimán. Experience in covering news in Spanish is preferred but not required. Journalism majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Pay: About $3 per story

Reporters (multiple positions)

This reporter will work on original stories for El Caimán and serve the Spanish-speaking community of Gainesville. This reporter should be familiar with the community and the issues that members of the community care about. We’re looking for someone with experience covering news for the Spanish-speaking community in Gainesville. Journalism majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Pay: About $6 per story

Avenue Applications

The Avenue, the arts, culture and entertainment section of The Alligator, is hiring! We are looking for a team of four ambitious staff writers who are well versed in arts, theater, film, music, food and drink, fashion, lifestyle and Gainesville nightlife. These positions will be paid. 

Click HERE to apply to The Avenue 

Applications are due Saturday, Jan. 2  at 11:59 p.m. We recommend that you apply well before the deadline. 

Staff writers will complete 2-3 weekly news and enterprise stories with a focus on the Gainesville entertainment scene for both The Alligator’s print and digital publications. 

With more creative freedom than traditional daily news writers, The Avenue team should be up to date on all things entertainment in Gainesville. Here, writers have the opportunity to interview local creatives, write personal essays about collegiate culture, produce Q&As with performing artists, review movies and shows, critique restaurants and much more.

The Alligator is a digital-first newsroom, and we strive to deliver engaging online content to our audience and highly value innovative ways to tell stories and integrate multimedia components into our work. Staff are expected to produce daily content for the website and newsletters. In addition to our online content, The Alligator prints once a week on Sundays.

Journalism students are preferred, but all majors are welcome to apply. Applicants must be either UF or Santa Fe students.

Please direct any questions to Avenue Editor, Makiya Seminera, at mseminera@alligator.org or Editor-In-Chief, Lianna Hubbard, at lhubbard@alligator.org.

Arts Reporter

This reporter is responsible for covering all aspects of the fine arts that Gainesville has to offer. This position would cover a range of topics including the visual arts, film, literature, music and theater. The arts reporter should have an eye for how art interacts with the Gainesville community, as well as have a passion for highlighting the individuals behind the art. This reporter will be assigned stories related to this beat by The Avenue editor but should also pitch their own daily and feature story ideas. This reporter will be expected to write an average of two to three stories per week and at least six enterprise stories per semester. Previous reporting experience is preferred but not required. Journalism majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Pay: About $6 per story

Food and Drink Reporter

This reporter is responsible for covering Gainesville’s vibrant food and drink scene. This position is encouraged to cover the array of diverse restaurants and food festivals in Gainesville. This position also looks to expand upon food journalism by exploring topics like recipes, food trends and food’s interaction with local health. This reporter will be assigned stories related to this beat by The Avenue editor but should also pitch their own daily and feature story ideas. This reporter will be expected to write an average of two to three stories per week and at least six enterprise stories per semester. Previous reporting experience is preferred but not required. Journalism majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Pay: About $6 per story

Lifestyle Reporter

This reporter is tasked with reporting on a broad variety of lifestyles to highlight the uniqueness of the Gainesville community. This position gives the writer lots of room for creativity by covering a large range of topics including fashion, business, technology and sexuality. The reporter should have a good understanding of the diversity of lifestyles in the local community. This reporter will be assigned stories related to this beat by The Avenue editor but should also pitch their own daily and feature story ideas. This reporter will be expected to write an average of two to three stories per week and at least six enterprise stories per semester. Previous reporting experience is preferred but not required. Journalism majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Pay: About $6 per story

Culture and Diversity Reporter

This reporter is dedicated to highlighting the diverse cultures of Gainesville’s community. This position will specialize in covering marginalized groups in Gainesville and explore the ways identity interacts with culture. The writer should have a deep understanding of the history and culture of the Gainesville community. Coverage may overlap with other beats at The Avenue. This reporter will be expected to write an average of two to three stories per week and at least six enterprise stories per semester. Previous reporting experience is preferred but not required. Journalism majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Pay: About $6 per story

Sports Assistant Editor Applications

Click HERE to apply.

The assistant sports editor is responsible for maintaining the quality of the sports section of The Alligator. We’re looking for editors who are passionate about athletics in Gainesville with creative ideas for both daily and enterprise content. The assistant sports editor will oversee a team of reporters including beat writers and general assignment reporters. Previous Alligator Sports experience or sports writing is preferred but not required. Applicants must be a UF or Santa Fe College student. All majors are encouraged to apply.

Pay: About $25 per week

Sports Applications

Click HERE to apply.

Men’s Basketball Reporters (multiple positions)

These reporters will cover the men’s basketball program through the remainder of its 2021-22 campaign. The reporters will divide each of Florida’s remaining 18 regular-season games, along with any further SEC/NCAA tournament contests. Additionally, reporters will be responsible for covering weekly pregame press conferences and continued feature reporting throughout the semester. Reporters will be expected to write four to five game stories live from the O’Connell Center each semester and produce three to five articles per week. Applicants with background in or familiarity with the sport are preferred. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Baseball Reporters (multiple positions)

These reporters will cover the UF baseball program, who were 2018 national champions and one of the most successful collegiate baseball teams of the past decade. Florida’s 56-game schedule will be split between these reporters, 34 of which will be played in Gainesville at Florida Ballpark. Reporters are generally assigned games in three-game series’ and will be expected to produce at least four articles per week. Reporters are also expected to divide responsibility for media availabilities throughout the semester along with consistent feature reporting on the team. Applicants with background in or familiarity with the sport are preferred. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Women’s Basketball Reporters (multiple positions)

These reporters will cover the women’s basketball program through the remainder of its 2021-22 campaign. The reporters will divide each of Florida’s remaining 18 regular-season games, along with any further SEC/NCAA tournament contests. The Alligator’s accountability reporting on the UF women’s basketball program, particularly the conduct of former coach Cam Newbauer and athletic director Scott Stricklin, made national headlines and is a source of pride for the paper. Reporters assigned have a particular expectation to speak with current and former players and continue to investigation. Reporters will be expected to write four to five  game stories live from the O’Connell Center each semester and produce three to five articles per week. Applicants with background in or familiarity with the sport are preferred. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Softball Reporters (multiple positions)

These reporters will cover the UF softball program, five-time national finalists over the last 15 years. The team plays 56 games a year, 32 of which will be played in Gainesville, and reporters are generally assigned games in three-game or weekend series. Reporters will be expected to produce at least four articles per week, including coverage of the SEC/NCAA tournament and consistent feature reporting on the team. Applicants with background in or familiarity with the sport are preferred. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Gymnastics Reporter

This reporter will cover the UF gymnastics program, which has produced six Olympians and earned ten SEC Championships since being established in 1973. This reporter will be expected to cover UF’s 10 regular-season meets — five of these will be hosted at the O’Connell Center and all but one are held on Friday evenings — along with expected qualification for the SEC and NCAA Tournaments. Along with covering the score and events of the meet, reporters are expected to understand and highlight the pageantry, choreography and intricacy of the performances. Reporters will also be expected to produce consistent enterprise coverage on the team throughout the semester and should contribute two to four articles per week. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Swim/Track Reporter

This reporter will cover the swim and track beats, sports that run throughout the winter and spring sessions respectively. Each sport will host a pair of home meets throughout the semester, but a majority of the meet coverage will come from press releases and highlights. Producing articles quickly is particularly important for this beat. Both sports have large and diverse rosters full of international students, leaving plenty of opportunity for enterprise reporting. These teams compete 22 times throughout the season, and reporters will be expected to produce at least two articles per week.

Lacrosse Reporter

This reporter will cover the UF lacrosse team, the most recent champions of the American Athletic Conference. This reporter will be expected to cover each of Florida’s 18 matches in the 2022 season, including ten home matches live in Gainesville, along with any additional AAC or NCAA tournament coverage. Reporters will be expected to produce one to three articles per week including continued enterprise coverage of the team. Applicants with a particular background in or familiarity with the sport are preferred. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Golf Reporter

This reporter will cover the men’s and women’s golf teams for the 2022 season. This reporter will be expected to cover 27 afternoons of golf between the two teams, along with additional coverage of the SEC and NCAA tournaments. Each team will participate in one home tournament, but a majority of coverage will come from press releases and highlights. Producing articles quickly is particularly important for this beat. Reporters will be expected to produce one to three articles per week including continued enterprise coverage of the team. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Tennis Reporter

This reporter will cover the men’s and women’s tennis teams for the 2022 season. This reporter will be expected to cover 19 afternoons, where the men’s and women’s teams generally compete on the same day, along with additional coverage of the SEC and NCAA tournaments. Reporters are expected to attend a weekly home match between the two teams and produce three to five  articles per week including continued enterprise coverage of the team. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

General Assignment Reporters (multiple positions)

These reporters will be the utility players in the newsroom. They’ll cover breaking news alongside any games or events that need a reporter. They’ll learn how to quickly write briefs and cover breaking news, along with the basics of reporting in a multimedia age across digital platforms. These reporters will be expected to write daily briefs, two to three stories per week and at least six enterprise stories per semester. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Enterprise Reporter

The enterprise reporter will primarily be away from the action on the field and work on vibrant, sports-related stories both around the university and the Gainesville community. Past enterprise reporters have covered topics such as Gainesville High’s Citizens Field and the newly-established Gator Collective. This beat offers established reporters an opportunity to work on powerful stories and strong clips. Previous journalism experience is strongly preferred. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.