Firefighters responded to fire alarms at a Gainesville daycare

The building had moderate heat and smoke damage

crime
crime

A fire raged at a Gainesville daycare center Tuesday morning while it was closed.

Gainesville Fire Rescue crews arrived at Kid City USA at 1127 NW Seventh Ave., about eight minutes after a fire alarm system notification at 3:45 a.m., according to a GFR press release.

One person was transported to UF Health Shands Hospital by Alachua County Fire Rescue to be treated for minor injuries. 

GFR found a working fire, a term commonly used to describe a fire that requires additional support, and upgraded the call to a commercial building fire, according to the GFR press release. 

The 17 GFR firefighters stopped the fire from spreading beyond the daycare and extinguished it within 12 minutes.

“Early notification provided by the fire alarm system, as well as quick and decisive action by firefighters limited damage,” the press release stated. 

The cause and origin of the fire is currently being investigated, according to Assistant Fire Chief Stephen Hesson. 

Contact Troy Myers at @tmyers@alligator.org or follow him on Twitter @Troy_Myers1.

Troy Myers

Troy is the criminal justice reporter and a fourth-year journalism major with an outside focus in business administration. He previously studied accounting for two years at Santa Fe College but has since transferred to UFCJC. When Troy isn’t writing, he enjoys going to the beach and spending time with his dog, identical twin brother and family.