Student Government website crashes from funding request overflow

Subhead: Operational, event and travel requests opened at 9 a.m., and the website shut down within an hour

<p></p>

Student government opened the ability for student organizations to submit requests for operational, event and travel funding Monday morning. Less than an hour later, an overflow of people on the website caused it to shut down. 

In an email, Budget and Appropriations Committee Chair Catherine Giordano informed organization alerted leaders and Senators of the form’s crash and apologized for inconveniences. 

“The ability to request the funds will be postponed until UFIT fixes the issue, and students will be given a 24-hour notice before the new funding window opens,” she wrote. 

“This is to ensure that we are as closely aligned with code 810.2 as possible and all organizations have equal opportunity to access funds,” she wrote. 

The requests are filled on a first-come, first-serve basis and cover costs like special events, awards and trips to competitions.

Organizations must submit a google form request and meet the following requirements: not recipients of other funding from university entities, completion of financial training, no membership fees or dues, at least 10 active members and registered with the Department of Student Activities and Involvement.

Student organizations are also able to request up to $500 in base funding from Student Government until the afternoon of March 28 for the Summer B and Fall 2022 cycle. The form opened March 14.

These requests cover expenses like technology and advertising and are not administered on a first-come, first-serve basis, and are reviewed by the Budget and Appropriations Committee. 

Requests for base funding must be made through Docutraq on SG’s website.

The 800 codes govern funding, and resources for requests can be found on SG’s website. Any questions should be directed to Budget Chair Catherine Giordano at budget@sg.ufl.edu.

Contact Maia at @BotekMaia on Twitter and mbotek@alligator.org

Maia Botek

Maia Botek is a third-year journalism major and Spanish minor covering student government this semester. Maia is from South Florida and enjoys the beach, spending time with her friends and learning about the environment in her free time.