UF admissions extends deadline amid Hurricane Ian destruction

It was extended by 6 days

The UF admissions department released a statement online Tuesday afternoon extending the freshman application deadline to Nov. 7, as opposed to the traditional Nov. 1 deadline. 

The deadline was extended due to the impact of Hurricane Ian across Florida, according to the UF admissions website. The website also provides a link to request an additional extension if needed. 

Hurricane Ian was the deadliest hurricane to impact the state since 1935, causing 136 casualties in Florida and damage throughout the state, most notably more than 2.5 million power outages and storm surges of more than 7 feet in areas like Fort Myers and Naples. 

In the 2021-2022 application cycle, UF received more than 65,000 applications for roughly 15,000 acceptances — a record-low acceptance rate of 22.8%.

Contact Peyton at pharris@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @Peytonlharris.

Peyton Harris

Peyton Harris is a first-year English major and the News Assistant for The Alligator. She is also a member of Zeta Tau Alpha and spends her free time re-listening to Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers and binging Criminal Minds.