Gators men’s tennis drops second straight match against Stanford Cardinal

USTA National Campus trip ends in disappointment

Gators Will Grant and Axel Nefve celebrate during Florida's loss to the Texas Longhorns Jan. 15, 2023.

The Florida Gators lost their second match in a row to the Stanford Cardinal Sunday to end their four-game winning streak.

No. 16 Stanford (5-2) beat No. 15 Florida (4-3) 4-1 in the Gators’ last of three matches at the United States Tennis Association National Campus.

The doubles matches started off well for Stanford. Cardinal sophomore Nishesh Basavareddy and junior Arthur Fery defeated Gators graduate student Axel Nefve and junior Will Grant 6-3 in the first match.

As has been the theme, however, the Gators found a way to win the doubles point.

Florida freshman duo Tanapatt Nirundorn and Togan Tokac beat Stanford senior Filip Kolasinski and sophomore Anders Matta 6-2 in the second match.

UF freshman Jonah Braswell and senior Lukas Greif won the deciding match against freshman Samir Banerjee and senior Neel Rajesh 6-4 to secure the point.

The doubles point was the Gators’ only point of the match. Stanford swept its way through the singles matches.

Fery started with a win against Nefve in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1.

Sophomore Cardinal Max Basing gave Stanford a 2-1 lead with his two-set victory against Grant, 6-4, 6-3.

Banerjee beat Braswell in two sets, 6-3, 6-4, for the Cardinal’s third victory.

Stanford clinched the win in the fourth singles match. Basavareddy fought Gators sophomore Nate Bonetto, taking him down in straight sets, 7-6 (4), 6-3.

The final two singles matches were retired since the Cardinal had already won.

Stanford junior Aryan Chaudhary faced Greif in one match, while Kolasinski played Florida freshman debutant Olek Orlikowski in the other.

The Gators will have an almost two-week break before heading to Chicago for the Intercollegiate Tennis Association National Team Indoor Championships starting Feb. 17.

Contact Eitan Ohana at eohana@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @eitan_ohana.