Gainesville man arrested on suspicion of sexual battery on homeless woman

His bond is set at $85,000

A Gainesville man was put into custody after he allegedly tried to coerce a homeless woman into having sex with him for money.

Alexander Bellerive, 22, was charged with one count of sexual assault, one count of felony battery, one count of soliciting prostitution and one count of drug possession.

Bellerive approached a homeless couple at a walking trail near 4200 SW 40th Boulevard Saturday and offered them $20, according to the arrest report.

Soon after, he asked the woman if she “wanted to make some money” and later asked her for oral sex, according to the report.

The woman said Bellerive was persistent even after she declined several times. Bellerive allegedly offered her as much as $400.

When she later was putting makeup on at a bench, he allegedly put his penis in front of her face and begged her to “kiss it”, according to the report.

After calling him a “f—ing douchebag,” Bellerive then allegedly punched her in the face, causing a broken nose and a tooth to fall out, according to the report.

Gainesville Police Department took her to UF Health Shands Hospital and then confronted him at a nearby Walmart, where he allegedly denied hitting or sexually battery of the woman.

Instead, Bellerive allegedly said he offered the couple $20 for food and cigarettes. He told officers that the woman threw an eyeliner pen at him, before punching him in the shoulder several times. 

Bellerive said he ran from a nearby construction site all the way to Walmart to avoid her, according to the arrest report.

Officers noticed blood on his hands and cuticles, as well as scarring on his knuckles.

Law enforcement began arresting Bellerive and asked if he had anything illegal on him. Bellerive allegedly said a man gave him three bags of cocaine after offering the person $20.

He also said he knew the cocaine was bad after he did one “bump,” according to the report. Officers allegedly found the three bags on him.

Officers later found and interviewed the woman’s boyfriend, who corroborated her story. Law enforcement checked the boyfriend’s hands and found nothing to indicate he hit anyone.

Bellerive was arrested and taken to Alachua County Jail, where his bond is set at $85,000. 

As of Monday afternoon, his next court date is not yet scheduled.

Contact Aidan Bush at abush@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @aidandisto.

Aidan Bush

Aidan Bush is a third-year journalism major and the Spring 2024 Engagement Managing Editor of The Alligator. In his free time, he likes to listen to music and go kayaking.