Gainesville man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder over a stolen lighter

He was denied bond

A Gainesville man was taken into custody after he allegedly stabbed another man multiple times.

Torrance Lee, 38, was charged with one felony count of attempted homicide without premeditation.

The victim was hanging out with two of his friends April 24 in the Highland Court Manor neighborhood, according to the arrest report. 

He left to use the bathroom in the house’s backyard when the man allegedly heard Lee behind him.

Lee said the man stole his lighter — when the man denied stealing anything, Lee allegedly put him in a chokehold, according to the report.

Lee repeatedly stabbed the man, including in the neck, with what the victim believed was a knife, according to the arrest report. 

One of the man’s friends saw Lee and the man tussling as the victim tried to escape, but said he wasn’t aware the victim was stabbed at the time, according to the report.

Lee allegedly ran from the area. The victim told the homeowner he needed an ambulance but didn’t mention why. 

The victim walked over a mile away to a Circle K for help, where an employee called the police around 11:43 p.m. The Gainesville Police Department responded and took the man to UF Health Shands hospital. 

Officers confirmed that the man didn’t know who Lee was, nor did his two friends know.

An anonymous person later told officers a man named Torrance was the suspect. Officers’ search of nearby properties found Lee, who lives a few doors down from the home where the stabbing took place. 

The next day, the victim identified Lee out of a lineup. A warrant was issued and Lee was arrested and taken to Alachua County Jail Sunday.

Lee was denied bond and his next hearing is not yet scheduled as of Monday evening.

Contact Aidan Bush at abush@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @aidandisto.

Aidan Bush

Aidan Bush is a third-year journalism major and the Spring 2024 Engagement Managing Editor of The Alligator. In his free time, he likes to listen to music and go kayaking.