Florida softball parts ways with pitching coach Mike Bosch

Bosch served as the Gators' pitching coach for five seasons

No. 6 Florida was shut down by Texas A&M Saturday afternoon, 5-0.

Florida softball head coach Tim Walton is searching for a new assistant coach after the team announced Thursday pitching coach Mike Bosch would not return for another season on staff for the Gators. 

"At the conclusion of the season Mike and I sat down and discussed the year and his career here as our pitching coach," Florida head coach Tim Walton said. "We decided that moving in a different direction was best for our program."

Bosch was hired in 2018 as the primary pitching coach for Florida. He helped develop and mentor the team's pitchers, some of whom have been named to the National Fastpitch Coaches Association All-American teams, NFCA All-Southeast Region teams, three All-Southeastern Conference selections and 10 SEC Pitcher of the Week honors. 

In 2021, right-handed pitcher Elizabeth Hightower became the program's ninth NFCA All-American in program history. 

The Gators tied their 2012 single-season record in 2021 with 12 saves. Pitcher Katie Chronister finished third in saves nationally and tied for the team-high six. 

The Gators’ 2023 team earned run average was 3.69, ranked No. 165 in the nation. UF ended its season with 210 total strikeouts between Florida’s main rotation of Lexie Delbrey, Elizabeth Hightower and Rylee Trlicek, down from last year’s total of 330.

"Being part of the University of Florida championship program has been an amazing professional and personal experience," Bosh said. "As I look forward to the next chapter in my coaching career, I wish Coach Walton and the team continued success."

Walton will now search for the program's next pitching coach headed into the 2023-2024 season.

Contact Alyssa Britton-Harr at abritton-harr@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @abrittonharr.

Alyssa Britton-Harr

Alyssa Britton-Harr is a second-year journalism major and a sports reporter for The Alligator. In her free time, she enjoys cheering on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and spending time with her friends.