UF Board of Trustees considers proximity-based pricing system for student parking

A finalized proposal will be presented on Dec. 7

A car exits the parking lot across from from Southwest Recreation Center on Thursday, Sept. 2, 2021.

The Office of Business Affairs proposed a new student parking pricing model at the UF Board of Trustees meeting Thursday.

The proposed plan restructures the student parking system to have three tiers varying in price based on campus proximity. 

The least expensive tier, Red 3, will only include rooftop parking at Garage 9 on Archer Road.

A mid-tier, Red 2, will include Garage 5 on Gale Lemerand Drive and parking at the Lakeside Complex.

The most expensive tier, Red 1, will include the remaining Red parking areas on the main campus.

Prices for the new system have not been decided.

The current student parking permit system, which has been in place for eight years, has a flat annual fee of $160.

The proposal was made to meet student demand and address rising operating costs, according to the meeting agenda.

UF spokesperson Cynthia Roldan confirmed in a statement the Board of Trustees took no action on the proposal, opting to give staff more time to assess pricing and modify UF Parking Regulations.

The Office of Business Affairs is expected to present a finalized proposal at the next Board of Trustees meeting on Dec. 7.

Contact Garrett at gshanley@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @garrettshanley.

Garrett Shanley

Garrett Shanley is a third-year journalism and history major and The Alligator's Fall 2023 university administration reporter. In his free time, Garrett can be found watching Wong Kar-Wai movies and brooding.