Aleks Szymczyk stands on the court in the Gators men's basketball's 81-60 win against South Carolina Gamecocks on Wednesday, Jan. 25, 2023.

Florida men’s basketball sophomore forward Aleks Szymczyk will miss 10 to 12 weeks of action after he broke his foot in practice Tuesday, according to Chris Harry, senior writer for the Florida Gators.

Szymczyk saw a majority of his playing time last season after former Gators forward Colin Castleton was sidelined due to a wrist injury for the second half of the season. In the 14 games he played, the German forward averaged 2.1 points, 1.3 rebounds and shot 39.3% from the floor per game.

Szymczyk is the only returning forward from last year's team. Seton Hall transfer Tyrese Samuel, Marshall transfer Micah Handlogten, Yale transfer E.J. Jarvis and UF freshman duo Alex Condon and Thomas Haugh joined Florida over the offseason.

Szymczyk is expected to miss the start of full-scale practices beginning Sept. 26. The 6-foot-10-inch forward is scheduled to undergo surgery next week.

The Gators open the 2023-2024 season against Loyola Maryland at the Stephen C. O’Connell Center Nov. 6. 

Contact Brandon Hernandez at bhernandez@alligator.org. Follow him on X @BranH2001.

Brandon Hernandez

Brandon Hernandez is currently the enterprise sports writer and sports podcast host for The Independent Alligator. He likes long walks on the sidewalk and watching basketball tape in his off time. You can find most of his work @BranH2001 on X and on The Courtside Podcast on Spotify.