Former Gator Wyatt Langford set to be promoted to Triple-A

The rookie outfielder has quickly progressed through the minors

Florida junior outfielder Wyatt Langford rounds the bases during the Gators' 6-0 win against Texas Tech Monday, June 5, 2023.

Former Gators outfielder Wyatt Langford is expected to earn promotion to Triple-A with the Round Rock Express Tuesday, according to Kennedi Landry, the Rangers beat writer for MLB.com.

The Texas Rangers drafted Langford fourth overall in the 2023 MLB Draft. The Trenton, Florida, product has stormed his way through the minor leagues in his first season of professional baseball. 

He played three games in the Arizona Complex League before he got promoted to High-A Hickory. In 24 games of High-A ball, he had a .333 batting average and a .453 on-base percentage.

Langford smashed five home runs and tallied 15 runs batted in before he earned a promotion to Double-A Frisco. The former Gator outfielder spent just 12 games at the Double-A level to earn promotion to the highest level of minor league baseball.

He batted an impressive .405 average and a .519 on-base percentage. He blasted four home runs and compiled 10 RBIs. 

Langford’s hot start to his professional career could catapult him onto Texas’s roster if he can keep up his play in Triple-A. The Rangers wrap up their season Oct. 1st and Langford could be vying for a spot on their playoff roster if they make the postseason. 

The former Gators played a big part in Florida’s run to the College World Series Championship. He hit for a .373 average, smashed 21 home runs and totaled 57 RBIs in his last season at UF.

Contact Jackson Reyes at jacksonreyes@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @JacksnReyes.

Jackson Reyes

Jackson Reyes is a UF journalism senior and The Alligator's Fall 2023 Sports Editor. He previously served as Digital Managing Editor and was a reporter and assistant editor on the sports desk. In his free time, he enjoys collecting records, long walks on the beach and watching Bo Nix.