Graduate student middle blocker Anna Dixon suffers season-ending injury

Dixon's injury marks the third season-ending setback for the team this year

Graduate student outside hitter Anna Dixon hits the ball in the Gators' 3-2 loss against the Wisconsin Badgers Sunday, Sept. 17, 2023.

Florida graduate student middle blocker Anna Dixon announced a season-ending elbow and wrist injury Thursday evening via Instagram.

In her short stint as a Gator, Dixon hit a season-high 10 kills against Penn State and tallied 18 points against South Florida during the Tampa Bay Invitational. 

“As much as I am already struggling being out of the sport I love, I could not ask for a better group of people to end my college career with,” she wrote. “Playing with these girls is unlike anything I’ve experienced in all my years of volleyball.”

She hit 109 kills total and 37 digs at UF. Overall, she recorded 153.5 points in her season and 59 block assists. 

UF was Dixon’s third collegiate stop after she spent three seasons at Missouri and her freshman year at Kansas State. 

She appeared in all 28 matches in her time at Missouri where she registered double-figure kills in 23 out 28 of her matches. She ranked fourth on the team in blocks and hit over .300 eight matches as a Tiger. 

The graduate student switched to middle blocker over the summer before she came to UF to help the team with its defense. She spent most of her career as an outside hitter. 

“This is not a goodbye to volleyball,” Dixon wrote. “It’s just a goodbye to being a middle blocker.” 

Dixon's injury is the third for the Gators' volleyball team this season, following the earlier season-ending injuries of sophomore setter Alexis Stucky and freshman outside hitter Kira Hutson.

Contact Krisha Sanghavi at ksanghavi@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter at @krishasang.

Krisha Sanghavi

Krisha Sanghavi is a third-year public relations and economics major. In her free time, she loves cheering on Miami sports teams and spending time with her friends.